iTunes Digital Gift Cards Now Available Through Facebook

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 26, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Facebook today announced that it has added iTunes Store digital gift cards to its Facebook Gifts platform, making it easier for users to send iTunes credit to their networks of Facebook friends.
    AllThingsD notes that the partnership offers increased visibility for the iTunes Store and gives Facebook a part of what is currently estimated to be a $260 million business in iTunes Store gift cards for third-party retailers.
    Apple and Facebook have had a bit of a rocky history, with the two companies having sparred over Apple's efforts to offer Facebook integration in its failed Ping social networking service for iTunes. The companies have, however, been working more closely together recently, with systemwide Facebook integration now included in iOS 6 and OS X Mountain Lion.

Article Link: iTunes Digital Gift Cards Now Available Through Facebook
  2. Cubeeless, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012

macrumors regular

Apr 6, 2012
  3. macrumors 6502

Dec 25, 2007
  4. macrumors P6

Jun 22, 2009
    I'm surprised that you can't gift a specific song, movie or App - rather than a specific amount. Maybe that will be down the pike. Or maybe Apple doesn't want to give up a % of the revenue of people doing that via iTunes.
  5. macrumors G4

Small White Car

Aug 29, 2006
    Washington DC
    I think we're 5 years out from store clerks asking "Visa, Mastercard, or iTunes?"

In all 3 cases you'll make the transaction using an app on your phone, but my point is that Apple will soon be seen equally as 'Device Maker,' 'Media Seller,' and 'Credit Card Company.'
  6. macrumors newbie

Feb 1, 2012
    and this is more important than iTunes 11!?!? :confused:
  7. macrumors member

May 2, 2010
    Perth, Australia
    Can I gift outside of Europe yet, like my UK account to someones Australian account?
  8. macrumors 6502

Jul 14, 2011
    I'm sure this will be a big hit and a great move for the companies.

As for me, not a fan - but that has to do with my personal facebook "issues".
    Maybe I'll see the light one day.
  9. macrumors member

Jul 31, 2010
    Kinda cool but not really

And that's because iTunes Store will be one year in about two or three weeks here in Latin America and no word on when the iTunes Gift Cards will arrive. Credit card usage here in this area is not strong. Debit card and prepaid methods are the kings here. Still waiting.
  10. macrumors 6502a

Mar 22, 2012
    Not necessarily but it should be easier to test and roll out !
  11. macrumors P6

Jun 22, 2009
    A) I hope not
    B) They need to change the name of iTunes. Long overdue, no? They sell books, movies, apps, etc. iTunes is limiting.
  12. macrumors 6502a

Mar 30, 2010
  13. macrumors regular

Mar 5, 2010
    holey moley, my heart skipped a beat when I entered the front page. I thought iTunes 11 was released.
  14. macrumors 68000

Jul 27, 2003
    Why do people act like the entire company only works on one thing at a time?

Every time there's news about something, people who don't like it inevitably make this kind of comment.

Apple has thousands of employees working on many different projects. Hardware engineers aren't taken away from the next MBP to litigate in court. iTunes developers are not dropping what they're working on to negotiate a partner ship with Facebook.
  15. macrumors 6502a

Aug 4, 2007
    Unless they routinely go on sale for 15% to 20% off like Best Buy offers them, this is pointless.
  16. macrumors 68020

Aug 27, 2004
    Why change the name of something that everyone's familiar with? That would be marketing madness.
  17. macrumors 6502

Jul 17, 2008
    Thank god, I could never find iTunes gift cards before...
  18. macrumors 6502a

Jun 25, 2011
    this is kind of cool. i think its mostly for those teen girls who just never leave facebook though
  19. macrumors G4

Small White Car

Aug 29, 2006
    Washington DC
    Just like how Amazon only sells fish and freshwater plants, eh?
  20. macrumors 6502a

Mar 31, 2012
    I sure hope not
  21. macrumors G5

May 2, 2002
    It’s possible that different people have been working on iTunes 11 vs. working on Facebook’s cards. Apple has a lot of different people they hire.

I hope the people working on iTunes 11 take their time: a predicted timeframe, met or missed, means little to me vs. the quality of the product.
  22. macrumors P6

Jun 22, 2009
    Really - you're comparing the name Amazon to iTunes as far as what it indicates what is being sold?

Forget that fact that one is a company name and the other is a product.

Context is important. I find your comment silly. At least the other OP pointed out a marketing challenge with changing the name. One that could be overcome. But your response? :rolleyes:
  23. macrumors 68020

Jul 29, 2002
    Vancouver, BC CANADA
    Doesn't seem to be available to me... is this only available in the US? I'm in Canada. The Gifts section says "Coming Soon".

I just want to be able to buy a virtual card for myself, not drive down to the local store to get one. :)

In 5 years, it'll be "Please hold still while I scan your retinas"...
  24. macrumors G4

Small White Car

Aug 29, 2006
    Washington DC
    iTunes and Amazon are both stores.

The Amazon company owns the Amazon store.
    The Apple company owns the iTunes store.

I'm talking about the stores, you can't just cherry-pick stuff from the left and the right and mix them together. Pick a side.

You're the one who indicated that what a store is named tells you what they're supposed to sell.

I'm simply asking, does that apply to all stores? (Target?) If not, why not? Why just iTunes?

Well, explain to me why Amazon and Target are allowed to sell anything, but iTunes is only allowed to sell Tunes.

Once I have a good answer to that question I'll take back my silly statement.
  25. macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Jan 15, 2007
    You can already buy them online on Apple's website or via iTunes...