iTunes doesn't let me move files to trash?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Gary King, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Gary King macrumors 6502

Jun 14, 2004
    If I try to remove a file from my iTunes Library, it only gives me the choices of "Cancel" or "Remove" - I can't move the file to the Trash. Remove only removes the file from the library, but the actual file still exists.

How do I get it to let me Delete files? My iTunes settings are all the default ones.
  2. yippy macrumors 68020

Mar 14, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    If I highlight a song in iTunes and hit the delete button it asks if I would like to just remove it from the library or if it should put it in the trash.

Sometimes I have noticed that when I remove a song from iTunes it does not show up in the trash however the files has just been deleted as if it had been in the trash and then the trash emptied.
  3. Gary King thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 14, 2004
    I don't even get the option to put the file to the Trash. How do I get that? And also, my files are in the iTunes Music folder.

EDIT: Nevermind, I managed to figure out CMD + Delete = Move to Trash option appears.
  4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    Are you removing them from the Library not a Playlist? Removing them from a Playlist does not alter the underlying Library. Try selecting Library under Source (on the left) then delete the file.
  5. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Sep 12, 2005
    far away
    1. In case your music files are in a different folder than the official one you designated as the iTunes Music folder, iTunes will behave exactly like you're describing.

2. If you're trying to delete the files from inside a playlist, iTunes will only remove the songs from the playlist, except the case you press <alt> and delete.

Edit: post has become obsolet.