iTunes drag 'n drop limitation

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by redeye be, Mar 10, 2005.

1. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

I use a palm Zire71 with a 256 Mb SD card which holds enough mp3's to joyfully ride with me on public transport.

On my former-every-day-use XP hog i used iTunes to play and sort my music. Every week or so I would make a new playlist with songs i would like to hear. The handy size notification at the bottom of iTunes made this realy easy. Ones filled to the size desired i dragged and dropped the mp3's from iTunes onto the SD card (for which i use an external card reader).

On my mac this does not work :confused: :( :mad:

I found some posts making note of this drag and drop limitation in iTunes, but i couldn't find a solution for it. Any ideas here?

Thx

2. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

Worked for me...

I just dragged-and-dropped a song from my iBook G4 iTunes 4.7.1 to a USB 2.0 JumpDrive with no problems. Are you sure the SD switch is set to allow you to write to the card? Or possible Permission conflicts???

Six months ago brother had a Rio Sport .mp3 player that used SD memory. I could just connect it to a USB port on my iBook and it would show up in the iTunes source list just like any iPod would (complete with the little icon that looked just like it!) Then I could simply drag-and-drop songs over from within iTunes. Worked like a charm.

Of course this functionality might have been removed from more recent versions of iTunes. Apple has taken-away more features than they've added lately as they cower in front of the music labels' lawyer bullies.

3. redeye be thread starter macrumors 65816

redeye be

Drag and dropping does work, just not when you're dropping a playlist of more than X Mb. Anybody knows how much exactly?
    I agree i could copy them per e.g. 10 songs but that just doesn't feel very state of the art operating system to me. And it s*cks.

I like to add files to the playlist, delete some for size limitations and then copy to the SD card. Dropping an entire playlist is excellent for doing this.
    Imagine having to fill up a 1Gb SD card this way - darned apple.

thx for the thoughts anyhow ;)

4. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Another thing -- iTunes for Windows allows me to drag individual MP3s from my Library or Playlist onto my AIM buddy list to send as a file transfer.

iTunes for OS X makes me drag it to the desktop (or somewhere else) first, then to the iChat buddy list.

Talk about frustrating.

5. andrewfee macrumors 6502

Works fine for me.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

There's definitely a limit to how much can be dragged and dropped from iTunes and I don't think it's all that much. I'm always dragging/dropping keeping my computers all up-to-date with their libraries and it'll handle pretty much anything under 50 songs but otherwise it just won't happen. It's pretty frustrating but I can kinda see why they've enabled this. :(

7. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

From iTunes into an iChat buddy list?