iTunes DRM cracked wide open for GNU/Linux

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by 5300cs, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

Re: iTunes DRM cracked wide open for GNU/Linux

Well... there is no protection that cannot be broken. Anyway, the iTunes Music Store is the most successful attempt to sell music online. Apple may change the DRM and update the iPod firmware and iTunes... so they are safe for a while again.

I was satisfied enough of the possibility to record the DRMed songs in an analogue way (like it was years before with audio tapes...). Someone who wants the best sound should just pay. 0.99 $ is NOT too much for that!!

2. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

It's no big deal. Everyone knew it was going to happen sooner or later.

3. VIREBEL661 macrumors regular

Inevitible... I don't think this will affect things much, considering that people can just use p2p to get stuff for free... Honest people (and the majority I think) will pay for downloads regardless...

4. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

It's only broken on the Windows side, from what the article said, not the Mac side. This is because authentication on Windows writes the user key to a text file, which can then be used with the VideoLAN client. If they broke it on Mac too, and basically made the FairPlay completely irrelevant, THEN I'd be impressed.

Some of the open-source and free software types are frankly offended at any restriction on the sharing of any information that can be digitally translated. How they expect anyone to make a living creating anything, I don't know. And then there's the p2p motto of "why pay for what I can get for free?"