itunes dual library

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by brsboarder, Dec 7, 2005.

1. brsboarder macrumors 6502a

Feb 16, 2004
    Is there a way to make a dual library for itunes? I want one library with all my music, running off my external hard drive, which I'm assuming I can easily set up through Itunes, but then I want an on-the-go, much smaller than my 40gb collection for when I'm not attached. Is there an easy way to do this?
  2. OLD ELPASO macrumors member

May 28, 2005
    I THINK the only way is to Make two OS X accounts. Put your small library on one, and keep your big one on another with the external HD.
  3. brsboarder thread starter macrumors 6502a

Feb 16, 2004
    good idea, i didnt really think about that, now the hard part, I believe that during some installs, i asked randomally for it to be only accessed w/ the main user, how do i allow multiple's after it has been installed, or if i give both equal rights that should work?
  4. jywv8 macrumors 6502

Jan 11, 2003
    I keep a "master" library of AIFF files for my everyday use, and then I have another "ipod" library with all my AAC files that I sync with my iPod. To do this, I use this little $5 script:

It basically allows you to loads and unload different libraries through the little script menu in iTunes. I love it. Best $5 I ever spent.