iTunes, Duplicate Song Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Achithyn, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Achithyn macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,
    I am pretty new here, only posted a few times here and there. I am also a brand spanken new Apple user with the new iMac 2.1GHz machines. When I got my iMac, I wanted to port everything my Dell, to my iMac. This was great and all, and mostly worked, though I ended up duplicating about 400 songs, about 4 times each.

Is there some type of feature or something I can do with automator that would get rid of my duplicate songs? If you know of something that could be helpful, please let me know. Thanks for your time and help!

~Achithyn

2. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

There is a Show Duplicates option in one of the menus (not at my Mac right now ao I can't look) and then you can delete the duplicate ones. There is also a program called iDupe that does this as well. Not sure what advantage it offers, but there it is.

3. funkychunkz macrumors 6502a

funkychunkz

I've heard of other third party apps. like this. I think it was called mp3 rage or something *among others like it).

4. mileslong macrumors 6502

mileslong

its very simple, just open itunes, select Library or a playlist in the source list, then choose Edit > Show Duplicate Songs.

Only songs with the same title and artist are displayed in the iTunes window.

5. Achithyn thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey guys, thanks for the replies! :) I can show the duplicate songs, though am I suppose to delete that entire list? When I show duplicate songs, it shows four of every song. So, if I delete all four of those songs on the duplicate play list, will it remove that song completely from iTunes - or - will it delete just the duplicate songs, and I will continue to have the song in my main play list?

Just don't want to delete all my music... lol. Thanks again for your help!

~Achithyn

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Nah, you can't delete them all. You have to go through manually and keep one of each which is a bit of a pain. :(

7. Achithyn thread starter macrumors newbie

lol, ok - that is what I have been doing, so no worries. BTW, I did try iDupe, though it hasn't been updated since iTunes version 5.0 - so, I didn't want to depend on it. Manually deleting the extra songs will take a while, though not too long. I will just continue to delete them by hand. Thanks again for all the help! Have a good one everyone. :)

~Achi

8. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Do you allow iTunes to manage your music library?

9. lucface macrumors regular

lucface

i have 1608 duplicate songs. thats 804 originals and 804 duplicates. i tunes is retarted to include a show duplicates feature under the edit menu with no actual way to edit the dulicates. i have gone through and deleted them one by one before. i cant frikn do it anymore. so frustrating. im no programer, but, how hard could it be to add as a feature.

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Depending on how these duplicates arose, you could maybe sort by Date Added or something to quickly select all the new (or old) ones. :)

11. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

Make sure when you delete the songs to select "Move to Trash" to delete the duplicate song. If you select "Keep" it just removes it from iTunes, not your music folder.:rolleyes:

12. lucface macrumors regular

lucface

ok, so, idupe is the shzy. it solved my prob.

13. turlehe macrumors member

just found this on google lol. idupe worked great... cheers

great app!

i had like 700 dupes and it found all of them. excellent.

14. CommonMan macrumors regular

CommonMan

Must be an easier Way

I am sure that I had this same program some time ago. Since we have a computer, it is crazy to think that there is not a way to delete all the duplicates in one feld swoop. I'm sure that I down loaded something that did it - I mean just gets rid of all the duplicates. I had thousands of duplicates because of a mistake I made so it would of taken for ever to go through and delete them manually.

Someone must know of this program!

15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

16. irwano macrumors newbie