iTunes e-mail support

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by swingerofbirch, Sep 16, 2006.

1. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I've been going back and forth with iTunes e-mail support since having the misfortune of downloading iTunes 7 on my PC.

If I weren't so frustrated, I would laugh at some of the responses I have gotten. I have tried calling Apple's iPod division but have given up each time after being on hold for more than an hour.

I keep telling them that iTunes 7 seems to have erased files from my hard disk, both songs and videos purchased from iTunes and imported myself.

Here is the latest e-mail they sent me:

Dear XXXX,

I understand you are having concerns regarding files that appear to be missing after upgrading to iTunes 7, and that you would like to speak with someone over the phone. Please understand that the iTunes Music Store does not offer phone support. Based on customer feedback, we are focusing our energy on providing world-class online support. Please know that our support agents make every effort to respond within 24 hours.

We are happy to assist you in resolving this issue, however please understand phone support is currently not offered for the iTunes Music Store. Please note that the iTunes Music Store team answers non-technical questions about billing, customer accounts, downloading music, and iTunes Music Store content.

Our Terms of Service state that:

"Apple is not responsible for examining or evaluating the content or accuracy of any such third-party material or Web sites. Apple does not warrant or endorse and does not assume and will not have any liability or responsibility for any third-party materials or Web sites, or for any other materials, products, or services of third parties."

Because of this, I recommend you back up your iTunes Library as soon as possible and thereafter on a regular basis. In the future, always back up your library before making any major changes to your computer, such as installing, uninstalling, or upgrading components or hardware.

I encourage you to report your concerns about iTunes 7 to our North American Corporate Offices Apple Software Upgrade Center: (800) 785-9445

Thank you for being a long time Apple customer. Apple appreciates your business.

Sincerely,

XXXX
    iTunes Store Customer Support

1. They are saying I cannot speak to someone on the phone, but that they are glad to give technical support, but that they don't handle technical support.

2. The Terms of Service quote has nothing to do with my original e-mail.

3. The phone number they gave me is out of service (does not exist when you dial it).

4. Backing up now is not the solution to having already lost files!

This is just one of about four e-mails I have gotten back from them that are all equally ridiculous.

I am so mad........................................

2. abrooks macrumors 6502a

What exactly do you expect them to do?

They will always fall back on the terms and conditions that states that the software could cause damage.

3. swingerofbirch thread starter macrumors 68030

But that's not even what they said in their e-mail to me.

I very articulately asked them to provide an explanation of why the files were missing after installing iTunes 7, and if any files are possibly missing in addition to the ones with an exclamation mark next to them. I asked them if iTunes created an install log file, and I asked them if there was a way to find out how many items were in my iTunes library before installation and how many afterward so I could have a better idea of what to look for and what needs to be replaced.

After they failed to answer those questions in the first few e-mails, I asked that someone call me and that's when they wrote this last e-mail.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Even though they're passing the buck, they (iTMS support) are not in a position to answer your questions which is mor appropriately asked to the software developers. Think of iTMS as a retail store. They won't have the kind of detailed info you are looking for. This is why they're telling you to contact the software guys, even though they are not telling you how to find them. The best they can do is what they have done for Wil Wheaton and others which is let you redownload your past purcahses.

They are trying to help you, but don't have the right tools. It's like when my wife's first mini was stolen I called AppleCare to see if there was something they could do, after a while of chatting with them they gave me an "Apple Security" number to call that might be able to help me. Turned out to be the campus security office at Infinite Loop. :p

B

5. swingerofbirch thread starter macrumors 68030

lol........good point........i just need to "simmah down"

i definitely learned my lesson about not downloading updates until the proverbial canaries have ventured into the mine first.....i suppose i was the canary in this instance :rolleyes:

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yeah, me too, I usually upgrade my non-primary machines first, but in this case I didn't have another way to do the 1.2 Firmware upgrade unless I upgraded my PC. So I backed everything up to an external HDD (since I had already noticed some shenanigans on my work machine with a tiny library) and dove right in.

FWIW, have you posted your questions @ discussions.apple.com, occasionally knowledgeable APple folks roam through there...

B