iTunes Emergency

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Peyton, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

Today I opened iTunes (as I normally do) and to my horror and surprise, none of my songs are there. Out of the 2000 I had.

So I frantically look in the itunes music folder, whew, they're all there. BUT as I try to insert one of the protected songs back into itunes, it says there was an error.

What to do? :confused:

I suppose I should reinstall it? Any advice would be great. Thanks.

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

So what you are saying is that they are on your hd but you cant get them in to the actual itunes... weird. This happened to me recently and i just waited and after about 3 days it fixed itself.... even more weird

3. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    hmmmm, maybe try consolidating the library again.....

4. Peyton thread starter macrumors 68000

Peyton

How would I do this?

thanks

5. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

It's in the Advanced menu up the top. ;)

6. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

If I were you I would backup the files before I started clicking any buttons in iTunes.

7. Peyton thread starter macrumors 68000

Peyton

thanks everyone, I clicked consolidate library... nothin. and since my ipod has been dead for weeks now, no music for Peyton. :( I suppose I can restart... and wait for 3 days as someone mentioned, it just seems weird this would have happened. :confused:

8. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    What if,

you changed the location of your iTunes music library to a new location in the prefs, and then did a consolidate library?

If your library is massive, it will create a duplicate library, and may max out your HD, but if it's a reasonable size, it's worth a shot right?

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Something like this happened to me a while back, though on Windows. Half of the songs in my library had excalamtion points by them, even though I could see the file was still where it was supposed to be. I rebooted the box and all was well. (Just restarting iTunes didn't do it).

B

10. ExileinBlonde macrumors member

What does consolidating your library actually do:confused:

11. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

Sounds like your library data files are corrupted. If you're lucky, you'll have a backup of the file (possibly in your music folder; for me, it's at ~/Music/iTunes/Previous iTunes Library).

If you can't find a backup, you may have to reimport all your music into a fresh library. You'll lose play counts and all that good stuff, but that's a helluva lot better than losing your actual songs.

Try to search the forum and see if you can find a thread detailing what to do when the library data file's corrupt. I'll come back and post if I find more.

EDIT: This link might help. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93313