iTunes Error -48

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iKitten, Dec 16, 2006.

1. iKitten macrumors newbie

iKitten

Just yesterday I switched to the Mac (24" iMac - very nice). It was surprisingly crashy on the first day, but now evertything is great - except my iPod.

Every time I try to sync it, I get the error: "The iPod cannot be updated. An unknown error occured (-48)". What's weird is that everything was fine on my Windows PC, so it's surprising that this it would be as sucky as it is on Mac OS.

Things I tried:
    • Restoring iPod
    • Rebuilding library
    • Formatting iPod drive in Disk Utility

I did notice that "Veryify Disk" picked up errors as follows:

======================================

Verifying volume “David’s iPod”
    Checking HFS Plus volume.
    Checking Extents Overflow file.
    Checking Catalog file.
    Checking Catalog hierarchy.
    Checking volume bitmap.
    Checking volume information.
    Invalid volume file count
    (It should be 4258 instead of 40)
    Invalid volume directory count
    (It should be 65 instead of 61)
    Invalid volume free block count
    (It should be 534633 instead of 7270144)
    Volume Header needs minor repair
    The volume David’s iPod needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
    Volume needs repair

======================================

Repairing the iPod's disk doesn't fix the problem at all.

Anyone else solve this?

2. Gee macrumors 65816

You got this error report after you'd formatted the drive?

3. iKitten thread starter macrumors newbie

iKitten

No, I got it after I did a(nother) restore. Beats me.

4. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Try formatting the drive in Disk Utility.

5. iKitten thread starter macrumors newbie

iKitten

I tried that (mentioned in opening post). Still no luck.

I sure hope the next iPod and iTunes (possibly at MWSF) won't have these issues...

6. mannix87 macrumors 6502

this happened to me too a few weeks back with my MB. I thought it was a formatting issue (my iPod w/c was a gift last xmas, is PC formatted). But for some reason, the problem went away as soon as it cropped up w/o me finding out what caused it. Now it works perfectly fine.

7. GreeneGirl7 macrumors regular

GreeneGirl7

My husband has been having the same problem with his brand new 80GB iPod video. When he sets it to automatically sync everything, not even choosing certain playlists to snyc, the error goes away. I have the same iPod bought only a few weeks before and I haven't any problem at all - so I'm sure it's not a problem that every new one is experiencing.

8. Gee macrumors 65816

Long shot, but you don't happen to have any tracks in iTunes, or address book etc, with bizarre names containing non-standard characters? (e.g. stuff like arabic, hashes, back-slashes etc.). Just a thought, but I had trouble copy stuff over to an external (fat32) formatted hard drive and it transpired that it was my address book backups, saved with a date in the file name (10/10/06) that was f***ing it up.

9. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

There was a massive thread on Apple Discussions about this, with about 4000 views but Apple deleted it. Basically the conclusion was that Apple don't know what's going on, they sent a few logging tools to people to collect information and it wasn't solved in the recent 1.2.1 update.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I know this because it's happening to me.

The only way to 'stop' it is to turn off synching of everything except music, podcasts and videos seem especially to set it off, and don't enable disk usage. This temporarily works, but you may find some things (like purchased content and podcasts won't play on your iPod though)

AppleMatt

10. madofrain macrumors member

madofrain

Itunes error -48

I am glad I'm not the only one with this problem!!!
    Both my 2nd gen 8gig nano and my partners 4 gig pink 2nd gen nano generate this error.
    Like Ikitten i have tried the usual restore with itunes and reformatting with Disk Utility.
    When you run verify in disk utility it throws up the same error:

Verifying volume “Rachs iPod”
    Checking HFS Plus volume.
    Checking Extents Overflow file.
    Checking Catalog file.
    Checking Catalog hierarchy.
    Checking volume bitmap.
    Checking volume information.
    Invalid volume file count
    (It should be 182 instead of 142)
    Invalid volume free block count
    (It should be 713536 instead of 805069)
    Volume Header needs minor repair
    The volume Rachs iPod needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
    Volume needs repair

Repair it and it will sync fine.. Then a few days later the error is back.
    Its been driving me mad! I've sent feedback to Apple but have not received a reply. I've also dug around looking at other digit sync errors..People have solved some with replacing their dock cable,swapping USB ports etc?? None of these has worked for me. I even formatted my machine (2ghz intel core duo imac) so i could revert to itunes 6...It wouldn't allow we to sync either of the nano's without upgrading to version 7!

Your right It's seems to throw up the error less with auto sync with playlists as opposed to manual updating.

I'll try and go through my collection and remove any unusual characters from the song titles and albums, but really people shouldn't be expected to rummage through 1113 albums for punctuation!!! I'll let you know how it goes!

11. madofrain macrumors member

madofrain

Itunes error short term fix

After a bit of rumaging i found a short term fix posted on the APPLE discussion boards:
    http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=3730034#3730034

Also check out an active thread here:

http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=3728932#3728932

FINALLY PLEASE SEND FEEDBACK TO APPLE HERE:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=3699919&#3699919

OK SO...I would use this while Apple sort the firmware issue.

(a) Whilst the iPod is connected with iTunes running, enable disk-mode in iTunes.
    (b) turn OFF auto-launching of iTunes when connecting an iPod.
    (c) Apply changes to iPod.
    (d) Quit iTunes.
    (e) Eject iPod.
    (f) unplug iPod.

(That's the setting-up bit out of the way.)

(g) Connect iPod to your Mac so the iPod mounts on the desktop.
    (h) Launch 'Disk Utility', select the iPod in Disk Ultility then click on Repair Disk. (This fixes the disk headers for iPod & nano.) Quit D.U.
    (i) Launch iTunes to update the iPod.
    (j) Quit iTunes, then eject iPod.

(k) Return to (g) the next time you want to update your iPod."

Alternatively you can format (RESTORE) your mac ipod on a windows machine and this will use fat 32 and th associated windows firmware that is'nt faulty...Those are your two choices for the time being.

Chin up folks!

12. madofrain macrumors member

madofrain

FIX FOR -48 error

Here is the current fix for -48 after some testing it appears its UK english thats at fault!

To fix please follow these steps:

Go to System preferences in the Apple menu

Select 'accounts'

Create a new user (click '+' under 'login options')

Assign them a user ID and password tick 'allow user to administer..'

Turn off auto login.

Now drag your 'ITUNES MUSIC' Folder to the 'SHARED' folder under macintosh HD - USERS (JUST THE MUSIC FOLDER LEAVE THE LIBRARY XML ARTWORK AND LIBRARY FILE!)

Restart your machine and log back in as the new user.

Open System preferences select 'INTERNATIONAL'
    '
    Under Language click 'edit list' and remove everything except 'US ENGLISH'

Under word break select ENGLISH ( UNITED STATES, Computer)
    Select the 'formats' TAB
    Under region select United States (computer)
    This will alter the date format and currency
    Now select Input Menu
    Select 'U.S' and 'U.S' Extended
    Now deselect 'British' Tick SHow input menu in menu bar
    You should see an american flag with a 'u' underneath once extended is selected.

RESTART YOUR MACHINE

Now open itunes selecting 'i will locate my music' as opposed to auto.
    Go to file and add to librbary and navigate to your shared folder where you placed your music,Itunes will now COPY over your collection ***NOTE YOU WILL NEED TO ERASE THE MUSIC FOLDER IN SHARED ONCE COMPLETED- PLEASE CHECK YOUR COLLECTION HAS COPIED OVER CORRECTLY TO YOUR MUSIC FOLDER IN YOUR NEW ACCOUNT BEFORE DOING SO!!!)***

Plug in your ipod (I forced quit itunes as it was trying to start up)

I then erased the pod with disk utility

Once completed start up itunes and restore it from there.

Add your music how you like!..So far i've not had a single -48 error!

Fingers crossed Guys!

13. ascender macrumors 68000

I had the exact same error message this morning with a brand new iPod. It happened after installing the updated firmware during the middle of synching. A restore thankfully fixed it for me though.

14. penter macrumors 6502a

penter

I've been getting errors while updating my iPod as well, but my error message is (1417).

I have a Generation 4 iPod, though....

15. ascender macrumors 68000

Spoke too soon. Mine is now knackered with the same error message as the original poster.

16. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

I was searching for this earlier today, how did I miss this thread? :confused:

Anyway, yes, I've been getting this problem as well. 80GB iPod, everything set to auto update, music, podcasts, vids, contacts/caledners, and disk use is enabled. It seems a lot to go messing about with language settings and whatnot. Apple should get this fixed soon.

Also, every time I connect the iPod it hangs on the "Do Not Disconnect" screen when it would normally be flashing, and the iPod doesn't mount. Is this a symptom of this bug as well? Very annoying ... :mad: It means I have to disconnect the cable and reset the iPod every time I want to sync. Nasty little bug!

17. RobinHood macrumors newbie

I have the same -48 error on both mine and my sisters brand new 30GB Ipods when updating through my Macbook. The Ipods will update music okay but anything else and it screws up, plus, it won't correctly recognise them when trying to sync them a second time (after reconnecting them). Sounds like it could be a problem with UK English settings but I'm not trying the fix above tonight...

18. RobinHood macrumors newbie

So, I changed the language settings to US English only and both the new Ipods work without the error, but only after restoring them again. Having said that I did get the -48 error once when I chose to allow Ipod hard disk use, but it didn't seem to effect anything; the Ipod is still recognised and will update...sort it out Apple

19. RobinHood macrumors newbie

actually, the language change hasn't worked...-48 error is back, ffs!

20. wibbs macrumors newbie

wibbs

hi ive been getting this same problem for the last two months since i changed my 30g video for the latest version , error -48 and its been bugging me like mad ,but it seems to be behaving itself recently i did do a restore and im now having problems with album artwork that was previously ok getting jumbled each other ie wrong artwork to album or song ,the artwork is also wrong in the covers menu in i tunes anyone else experienced this:confused:

21. madofrain macrumors member

madofrain

-48 error message

Afternoon all.
    Hope you all had a great Christmas. :O)
    Robin did you rebuild your library following all the steps above? The issue is localised to non U.S date format xml. Creating the new user and dragging JUST your music (NOT THE XML OR LIBRARY FILES - WITH THE NON US DATE FOMAT XML) to your shared folder and rebuilding your library under a new user account under U.S english will solve the issue by writing the XML library files in U.S English. Countless people on the apple discussion boards have resolved the problem using this interim fix. Just ensure you follow ALL the steps exactly.
    Under OS 9 -48 error was associated with duplicate files. To be doubly sure using the duplicate song locater tool in itunes rename files that are showing as duplicates or delete as appropriate.
    Cheers
    Tim

22. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Yes, I noticed this yesterday after trying to troubleshoot the error. I was fiddling about with the iPod settings in iTunes and tried just syncing music, disabling disk use etc. Strange thing is the iPod was always set to auto update from when I got it and it was doing so even with the error popping up now and then, but anyway, under the music tab, the "Sync" check box was unchecked. :confused: I selected it as it should have been and had to erase all the songs on the iPod and re-sync. After it was synced, I skipped through a playlist selection of about 40 songs, all of which had the wrong album art. :rolleyes: The songs are correct but the album art is jumbled.

I did a restore which fixed the album art. I'm still only syncing music, no disk use etc. and the error is still there. Bah!

23. GreeneGirl7 macrumors regular

GreeneGirl7

Hi Tim. We're going to try to fix the -48 on my husband's iPod using your instructions. I'm just a little unclear on one thing - once you've re-created your iTunes library under the new account, were you then able to login into your normal account and have iTunes locate the newly created library? Or do you have to login into the new account whenever you want to use iTunes? Sorry if that's too obvious! Just wanted to be really clear befor we attempted it. :)

Thanks!!

24. jacksam101 macrumors member

Re: Itunes error -48

I've been troubled with this - have reformatted Ipod with my (whisper it quietly) Windows PC - and reloaded music back on with my trusty G5 iMac, also chose only to sync music and .... so far so good.

25. madofrain macrumors member

madofrain

-48 error fix

Morning. yup Jacksam is right. formatting your pod to fat32 will also resolve it. By plugging your pod into a windows machine it will reformat it with windows firmware which your mac can still read. It'll just be slower transferring your files to it. Some people have reported some buggy behaviour but its still an option as the issue is just with the mac firmware.
    Greenegirl:
    Hello! The fix i applied to my machine involved migrating *all* of my files to a new user account under U.S english. I eventually deleted the old UK one. I synced my mail, adress, bookmarks etc with a trial .mac account and the rest of my files were moved to the 'shared' folder so i could access them with the new US english user i created.
    A chap on the apple boards took it a stage further and completly reformatted his ibook. I just wanted to see if I could get away with a fix that side stepped the need to backup my data. Turns out it worked. :O) Its important that you leave behind the itunes xml and librabry files from the old user. The idea behind the fix it to rewrite these xml files in U.S date format.
    Its also important to note that the -48 error in os 9 is listed in Apple's tech notes as duplicate related. So make sure you weed out ANY duplicate song names! even if they're live or single versions. I just renamed mine..

Granted its all alot of effort, but I was off work and had some time on my hands. The tech support agent assigned to this issue has reported that he's replictaed the error in the apple labs, so if all the user moving/file renaming etc seems a bit daunting there should be an apple firmware fix on the horizon..

P.S oh you might want to remove any odd charachters *^/ etc from ALL the song tags..comments,album, track title etc..These are xml control charachters and some people think they may be part of the problem. If you want any further help just ask. I'm away as of Saturday for New years celebrations but i'll be around until then.