iTunes Europe... More Delays?

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Feb 9, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

The worldwide launch of Apple's iTunes Music store remains a mystery.

Apple has previously announced/hinted at the upcoming availability of the iTunes Music Store in Japan and Europe. Apple has also been clearly pursuing licensing agreements in Canada as far back as October 2003.

While the most recent expectations have placed a European launch for "the first half of 2004", a recent report seems to indicate that it may not meet this mark.

Apple is reportedly working on a European-wide deal to provide a consistent and uniform Music Store. However, regional licensing fees and distribution of those fees remain to an obstacle. As a result, word is that the launch-goal may fall as far back as August 2004... but this remains a moving target. In the meanwhile, other companies may have more luck launching regional versions of their online music stores.

2. macrumors 6502a

What are they talking about??
    there aren't any "computers" here in canada.

3. macrumors regular

I wonder what the holdup in Canada is... Puretracks.com is already selling songs, as far back as october 2003 I think. Now my ISP has made a deal with them so that when you click on music through www.mytelus.com you buy music through puretracks. Just not sure how well they're doing. And Telus is a major ISP in Western Canada, Apple needs to hurry up.

4. macrumors regular

Re: iTunes Europe... More Delays?

You'd think that record companies would like to sell as many tracks as they could with as little effort as possible.

Well, I am sure they do, just not through an American company!

5. macrumors regular

Let's get going!!!!!

The iTMS is a great service. Then again, this is coming from someone who has only experienced it 30 seconds at a time. Waiting for the service to break here in Canada is is like watching water boil (with no promise the stove's even on!)

It seems the iTMS is destined to be a part of Apple's other U.S.-centric services, iChat and Sherlock. Come on, Apple. Let us have it when it's ready! What advantage does waiting for a world-wide simultaneous launch have when there are iPods to be sold? Of course, it could be argued that demand for iPods is already satisfactory. Goodness knows they're priced that way *sigh*

OK, I do complain a lot. But the impatience of those of us forbidden to use the iTMS is completely valid, especially considering Apple's consumer push on music. We feel left out.

6. macrumors 65816

Photorun

I'm waiting for all the Macrumor Europe members to come and chime in and somehow blame Apple for their own countries enept and usually arcane legal systems that are keeping them from getting iTunes.

Canada, however, I don't get what the hold up there is, I mean, isn't it just the US with a funkier zip code? (kidding! I love Canada!)

7. macrumors regular

we got trees and fish.i dunno about computers:confused: . o wait am on one now and it a powerbook by apple:p here to think i want to spend 1000doller in itms and i want to sell macs here too. its is only 0.05% of what we use here.
    with ilife i can get that up to 70 alone.:rolleyes:

edit: how aBBout we tell them ehhh and ask them:there aren't any "computers" here in canada? at http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunes.html

8. macrumors 6502

freddiecable

if so = a big bummer :(

waiting...

9. macrumors 65816

jholzner

Re: Let's get going!!!!!

iChat is a US only service? I thought it used AIM's protocol. What's the problem?

10. macrumors regular

I thought I read that U.S. sales accounted for anly about 50 or 60% max of Apple sales and that the non US markets where the fastest growing overall segments.

Of course, if the record companies are dragging their feet they deserve people to copy their music (although just because you cannot get something doesn't mean you should go and steal it IYSWIM).

11. macrumors 6502a

Foocha

I doubt that Europe's "enept[sic] and usually arcane legal systems" are to blame for the delay. Europe is not one country, but many, each with their own systems - attempting to launch a one-size-fits-all service across all of these markets is extremely ambitious on Apple's part, and is inevitably far more complex that a US-only launch.

I suspect that Canada is suffering from the fact that the size of its market does not justify a standalone launch, so it will instead be handled as part of the global launch. In some senses, Canada has more in common with European markets - for example, the need for a French language version. As far as I know, iTMS US is only available in English, and whilst there's no legal obligation on Apple to provide a Spanish version for the US, there is a legal requirement to provide a French version for Canada (as I understand).

Of course, I realise that negotiations with record companies are the main delaying factor - but I suspect the desire for a one-size-fits-all internationalisation of iTMS is what's holding everyone back.

12. macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Not me. I hope no-one else either.
    And why would you think so?

This does bother me: In the meanwhile, other companies may have more luck launching regional versions of their online music stores.

13. macrumors regular

Hmm. I guess that ITMS US does not have to open a french set of services if operated from the U.S. but if operated via Apple Canada it might (if such a law is in place).
    I don't know the law but there is a similar issue in Finland. Swedish and Finnish are the two primary official languages (there is Same in the north) and official documents and services must be given in Swedish for the 4 to 5% who claim it as a mother tongue YET private companies can do what they want regarding do they support Swedish or not.

14. macrumors demi-god

LethalWolfe

I don't see how anyone in their right mind is blaming Apple. Opening up a domestic store is easy. Opening up a multinational store/series of stores is not. Especially when you are dealing with things like music. There are lots of copyright, distribution rights, and royalty issues that have to be worked out. I've had a bit of exposure to this, but dealing w/TV not music, and it was absolutely the most convoluted thing I'd ever been exposed to and it was only inregards to who had the broadcast rights to the CART race in Rockingham England. One single event. And it was insane. I can only imagine how horrible is must be to try and iron things out on such a broad scale like Apple is trying to do. Sorting your clothes by brand and color in the dark wearing a blind fold using only your left foot would be an easier task than dealing w/opening up iTMS stores all over the world.

Lethal

15. macrumors 68040

JFreak

no wonder that non-US orders account for 50% - because apple takes profit from exchange rates! for example a 15" powerbook costs 50% more in finland when the price is converted into US dollars, compared to the US prices.

well, to be fair, there are also different tax systems involved.

16. macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

not to mention tariffs, shipping, localized language versions of software, local language support, etc

17. macrumors member

iTMS Europe

Well, what have we here...

I can't speak for Canada, but certainly the European Market has its problems. It would be unfair to lay the blame on the Music Production Comapanies alone, where the true hindrance of the issue lies within politics. In a world where we strive to rid ourselves of the idiotic ideals of the past, where patriotism and the need to protect our people from the agressors of the north, east, west, south or whatever has become a total faux pas it is our politicians, our elders and the supressionistic attitude of those that govern us that cause delays such as Apple is experiencing.

Corporations like Apple are the modern day Robin Hood, with the enemy being those that wish to supress the freedom of the individual. Be it a company monopolising a segment of the market, or a government hindering progress in effort to protect our heritage...

I don't give a damn about my heritage... I want what is freely (well more like 99 cent per experience) available in the USA here in Europe, and no legislation put forth more than 50 to 100 years ago should stand in my way...

18. macrumors member

leenoble

Rip off

I don't blame Apple for the delay in bringing the iTMS to Europe.
    I'm in the UK where every company, not just record companies routinely rip us off. CDs cost about 50% more than just about anywhere else in the world. Levi jeans are banned from sale in supermarkets because Levi claim we wouldn't want to buy them in a place which doesn't fully reflect the brand and lifestyle of the jean company even if we could get them at half the price and people regularly take boat trips to the continent to buy cars because it works out cheaper to buy a left hand drive model, convert it, ship it, pay the import tax and re-register it for british use than it would to buy it in the UK spec to begin with.
    This is all about the record companies wanting to maintain their huge profit margins on UK sales.
    I don't blame Apple for that. I think they'll have a near impossible task to fix that when it's dogged us for decades. The reason why the record companies can get away with this is illustrated by my next point:
    I would rather have *A* music store even if it was cheaper in France and the rest of europe, than no music store at all. So by all means the record companies can get away with charging us 99p per track which is about 50% more than the US price. I don't care. I just want to buy online the best way possible. Apple needs to see this and start rolling out individual stores for each country. Screw the multi-country deal it's taking too long.

19. macrumors member

Europe being made up of individual countries is a very valid point, but why then do we europeans annually pour millions of Euros into our centralised European Cummunity in taxes. For the average person on the street the unified europe has brought absolutely zilch, nada, nichts.

Apple is a company that has always prided itself on its symbiosis bewtween individual softwares and its hardware, so it would be only natural to try and coordinate a global launch. Yes, America was first, but the market had to be tested somewhere...

As the the language issues, that is one thing the entire software industry should take note of... there a so many "skinnable" applicatons out there, so why not make language modules skinnable, some adobe products have it, Quark uses it on its Passport version, there is plenty of shareware with the ability to switch languages, so for a company like Apple to solved the language issue with iTMS's should be no problem.

20. macrumors 6502

I think also that Apple should forget that multi-country deal. Few music stores are already available in some European countries, and Apple needs to do something quickly.

It's interesting to see how the things are handled when the European iTMS opens. For example, many artists release their albums in different countries at different time. Will each European country have the same selection of music or will each country have it's own selection? How about national artists, who are not known outside one country? Will their music be available?

But anyway, Apple should do something fast and forget that multi-country mess. Just release it in some countries first and then country by country after that.

21. macrumors regular

Now I am getting really mad soon! I can't understand the music industry. I can't understand the lawmakers. Unfortunately I can't understand Apple neither.
    Apple is loosing ground fast! There are already several music stores available in Europe (on country basis). Hey, we even have a fully functional bilangual one in Norway: http://www.musikkonline.no They sell only norwegian records though, but then they sell it to anyone in the world! Bad thing: Windows only! (worse: the WMA DRM thingie that does not even work on the pods). Which is what will happen a lot if Apple does not hurry. ITMS will face the destiny of being a Mac-only used store in Europe - and no market leader :(
    And this is moving fast! If Apple can't strike a pan-european deal, go local - NOW! This is NOT difficult technically. Apple website/store is already published for several countries/languages. And heck, most of us people of small countries are more than used to face english content on the web - we will cope. We just want to buy our music from Apple - please let us!!

22. macrumors newbie

don't understand...please can someone explain?

What I don't understand is why they are going for a European iTMS at all, rather than a UK iTMS, German iTMS etc., delivering one store at a time. Surely this would be much simpler and quicker to sort. We have separate Apple stores after all...not just one big European Apple Superstore...

I would have thought a UK iTMS would be the logical first step in Europe due to translation issues - but maybe the legal wrangling with the Beatles' Apple Corp(?) is holding this up?

Anyone able to point out why what I see as sensible isn't necessarily so??? :confused:

23. macrumors regular

Hmm... as far as I know the parts in the macs comes from all over the world, and I believe european macs are assembled in Ireland... I don't think then shipping, taxes and such are a large factor. But then I would not complain about prices here in Norway neither, we are some percent above the US, but we also have a 24% sales tax. And Apple is one of very few companies that deliveres everything in Norwegian: boxes, manuals, OS, software +++ Living in a small country of about 4 mill. people that is very impressive to me - and one amongst many things I love about Apple - the attention to detail.
    Besides: good thing is that it appears that some hardware problems exprienced in US is gone when released in Norway - i.e. the iBook problem is not as prominent. Maybe Apple is putting some extra effort also given that here you are by law entitled to 3 years warranty for such products - which pretty much covers the lifetime anyway :)

24. macrumors regular

Re: don't understand...please can someone explain?

I find this very sensible. And as someone else pointed out - it gives also the possibility to promote national artists that would be strong sellers in smaller regions. Actually I would not expect a ITMS superstore to be anywere near the ideal solution... for anyone.

25. macrumors newbie

Beat the system?

Ok I've had an Idea, I'm need someone to tell me if it'd work... right here in the UK we can browse the ITMS we just can buy without a valid US address and credit card... well isn't there some way an american company could set up a system where they apply for a card on our behalf and use their address, we pay them, they either give us the card details or buy gift certificates for us, we download the songs .. problem solved... ok I'm sure there's a barrier to this working I just can't see what it is.