Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

g4cubed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2004
My questions are will it have more european artist or the same venue as the U.S. itunes? And does Canada get one as well?

mrzippy

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Kent, UK
AL-FAMOUS said:
knock um down?????

i think not well in the uk at least english are not( unfortunatly) not as honest as the guys in the states, in my opinion IT WILL FLOP

Well that does not count me, as at €1.19 a song I would happily part with money - that is around 79p

Then again 99% of my iTunes library is from my own CDs, the odd few are old songs that I only have on tape or LP - I intend to buy these on ITMS when available.

I am still not sure I would buy albums on ITMS, depends on the price as I can buy most chart CDs at £8.99 from http://www.cd-wow.com with free shipping. I would not pay similar or more for a download compared to a CD, as you get lower quality audio (compared to a CDDA audio) and no artwork or physical CD.

As for singles, or odd old songs I like I would 100% happily buy on ITMS.

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
AL-FAMOUS said:
and apple have failed.... lots,

this all depends on the continuing success of the ipod. if you have an ipod you WANT to use iTunes right? i doubt any pc-ipod owners have said "what, i can't use this with winamp?" so maybe its time for a 4th gen iPod. my fingers are crossed cause i'm gonna be in the market soon! how about a built in 2+ megapixel camera steve? ::wishful thinking::

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
mrzippy said:
Well that does not count me, as at €1.19 a song I would happily part with money - that is around 79p

Then again 99% of my iTunes library is from my own CDs, the odd few are old songs that I only have on tape or LP - I intend to buy these on ITMS when available.

I am still not sure I would buy albums on ITMS, depends on the price as I can buy most chart CDs at £8.99 from http://www.cd-wow.com with free shipping. I would not pay similar or more for a download compared to a CD, as you get lower compressed quality and not artwork or physical CD.

As for singles, or odd old songs I like I would 100% happily buy on ITMS.

even though you can download them for free???

i like you have most of the music from my own cds, but thats just because i like to have the case and sleeve (plus im good for the cash)

Kalomir

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2003
PARIS
do you think it's possible for someone from the US to buy a German song, for instance? Or will iTMS encompass the entire collection?

Well, do you think it's possible for a European to buy on the US store ?

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
FightTheFuture said:
this all depends on the continuing success of the ipod. if you have an ipod you WANT to use iTunes right? i doubt any pc-ipod owners have said "what, i can't use this with winamp?" so maybe its time for a 4th gen iPod. my fingers are crossed cause i'm gonna be in the market soon! how about a built in 2+ megapixel camera steve? ::wishful thinking::

yeah ive got my full collection on ipod.... and i use itunes....

im in favour of a 4th gen aswell

Gren

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2003
I saw a bus-stop poster advert for the itunes music service today near Morrgate tube.

mrzippy

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Kent, UK
AL-FAMOUS said:
even though you can download them for free???

i like you have most of the music from my own cds, but thats just because i like to have the case and sleeve

I have never really been into MP3 downloading for free, I am one of the few who don't agree with piracy, if I download an album it is only to see if I like it, and if I do I always buy the original CD (partly as like you I am good for the cash).

I also like to have the case and sleeve, but I suppose it depends how much I like the music ie. I would happily buy a download of a Kylie album on ITMS but I would have to have the CD of the Evanescence album.

If no-one supports good bands, we will end up with no good music is the future.

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
mrzippy said:
I have never really been into MP3 downloading for free, I am one of the few who don't agree with piracy, if I download an album it is only to see if I like it, and if I do I always buy the original CD. Also like you I am good for the cash.

I also like to have the case and sleeve, but I suppose it depends how much I like the music ie. I would happily buy a download of a Kylie album on ITMS but I would have to have the CD of the Evanescence album.

If no-one supports good bands, we will end up with no good music is the future.

i agree but im not saying that i download for free i was just putting what i think will happen across...and i think depending on how they do it, that it will flop

the best way to support good bands is to buy there cds...and go to there concerts (you cant download that for free)

asif3

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2003
London, UK.
Kalomir said:
Well, do you think it's possible for a European to buy on the US store ?

Sorry, but that has no relevance. Europe doesnt even have a store, so of course we can buy american songs. I personally think Apple will have one big library, but localsied homepages, becuase each country has its own charts, right?

mrzippy

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Kent, UK
AL-FAMOUS said:
i agree but im not saying that i download for free i was just putting what i think will happen across...and i think depending on how they do it, that it will flop

the best way to support good bands is to buy there cds...and go to there concerts (you cant download that for free)

In a way I think the BPI should step up their fight on piracy via prosecutions like in the US, that would give people the incentive to buy legal downloads.

I DO NOT agree with copy protection on CDs, I listen to music mainly on my Mac in iTunes. Why should I be forced to used a proprietary player and lower quality audio? A good example is BMG releases in the UK that show a red dash next to Mac compatibility - it's a CD for God sake, why should I need to check my computer specification?

Anway I have never found a copy protection that actually works on a Mac, the BMG releases just mount as two disc, one the CD Audio the other is the Windows data track. The red dash must mean, ah it does not affect Macs :)

If recored compaies did not spend what I imagine is millions on trying to copy protect their CDs, they could sell music at lower prices. I personally think most people fell CDs are overpriced, if they were cheaper they would buy legal versions instead of downloading for free.

Anyway I think ITMS Europe has got a good chance, I know several people who will use it as long as the price is right.

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
AL-FAMOUS said:
knock um down?????

i think not well in the uk at least english are not( unfortunatly) not as honest as the guys in the states, in my opinion IT WILL FLOP

i assume you're use of "not not" was an error and you actually meant the english are less honest than americans. just where did you come up with that conclusion?

fartheststar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
Toronto
g4cubed said:
My questions are will it have more european artist or the same venue as the U.S. itunes? And does Canada get one as well?

Yeah. I am from Canada. The only music service here is Puretracks.com. Sony has a "buy a big mac at McD's" and get a free song. Well the promotion is using Puretracks in Canada which doesn't have Mac Support. Bring on iTunes Canada!

Kalomir

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2003
PARIS
Europe doesnt even have a store, so of course we can buy american songs

I just meant it depends on your credit card location, that's all

Selling itunes music outside the US comes on the same news day as realnetworks selling video content online? While video content is bigger news for advancing technology, etc., I have a feeling apple's news is a heck of a lot bigger on the buisness side. Selling a product that's done wonderfuly in a new market is a heck of a lot better than selling a new product in a form that's not all that practical.

autrefois

macrumors 65816
Stike said:
There is already German music available in iTMS. Just search for "Roy Black" or "Stefanie Hertel" - those are the abominations of German not-so-popular music. (mostly listened to by old people and people who have no taste ;) )
They recently added some German music. But they have a ton still to add. Let´s see how this plays out...

I'm very glad there is FINALLY going to be iTunes Europe. I wish I were there for the big event...

As for French music, there is only a VERY limited selection on the US store, so I really hope at some point we will be able to download music from any iTunes store in the world.

If this happens tomorrow it would be perfect timing, to correspond with the upcoming Fête de la musique (music festival)! :)

I know rights and royalties make this an unlikely situation, but one can always hope, right?

Kalomir

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2003
PARIS
As for French music, there is only a VERY limited selection on the US store, so I really hope at some point we will be able to download music from any iTunes store in the world.

Depends on the credit card because taxes are different

rog

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Kalapana, HI
I'm opposed!

Why is Apple doing this? Europeans should have to take a vacation to the US like everybody else if they want to access the iTMS. This will promote tourism and help our battered economy. Now they will have no reason whatsoever to come here. This makes me want to jump out my window.

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
HenMaster6000 said:
I'm curious. I assume that these localized versions of iTMS will carry the music solely of that country, but do you think it's possible for someone from the US to buy a German song, for instance? Or will iTMS encompass the entire collection? If the former is true, how will apple advertise their massive collection (ie "We have 2,000,000 songs around the world")?

Availability of iTMS in a country is NOT the same thing as license to distribute a particular song in that country. I am sure there will be some correlation, but iTMS Spain doesn't mean Spain-based acts; it means iTMS is available in Spain to distribute whatever Apple is licensed to distribute in Spain.

Neuro

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2003
London
AL-FAMOUS said:
knock um down?????

That's an ever-so-slightly sweeping generalisation. I think most people are quite willing to part with their money, regardless of location, if the product, presentation and quality are good. The Apple offering certainly is, so I'll be using it, probably quite a bit when I can get my iPod mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.