iTunes.exe -- Corrupt File

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by carcarvroomx, Jan 31, 2006.

1. carcarvroomx macrumors newbie

[​IMG]
    I see this message every time I plug my video 30gb iPod in. And the registration message also pops up, asking me for the info I gave back when I first used my iPod!! My brother's iPod doesn't do this, at least I'm pretty sure. Also, when I plug in my iPod a page from My Documents opens showing the F:\ file and folders instead of just opening the ipod... which eventually opens but after this file pop up.

I have no idea how I corrupted my iTunes, but I think my brother deleted something or downloaded something that screwed it up because I JUST got it and also barely update/use it as much as he does.

Does anybody have an idea?

Also, I ran the Chkdsk utility, but this didn't seem to work.

2. carcarvroomx thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, I forgot to mention, songs no longer update onto my iPod. It appears to update, but that haven't showed up. Podcasts don't appear and new videos/songs don't appear, but all the songs I uploaded in the past are.

3. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

format the ipod like you would a hard drive, but do a quick format not a full one.. then use the software update utility to restore the ipod.. afterwards uninstall itunes and reinstall it via a clean .exe from apples site..

4. cgratti macrumors 6502a

cgratti

or, just buy a mac....

And put Windoze to sleep.....

That pic reminds me how ugly Windows really is, yuk.....

5. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

maybe just find that file and delete it? it's only a preferences file, so no big deal to lose it...

6. cgratti macrumors 6502a

cgratti

just do a recovery from a previous day, like the day before you connected your iPod and then reinstall iTunes and start from there....

7. carcarvroomx thread starter macrumors newbie

I restored my iPod, and nothing loads onto it. If I reinstall iTunes, will I lose my library, purchased songs, etc?

8. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

9. mannix87 macrumors 6502

your songs will be fine but your playlists and play count data may be lost.

10. carcarvroomx thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, thanks for the help!

11. Timepass macrumors 65816

well there is a way for you to keep you play count and all that data. I discovered it by accendent when I reformated my computer last year and back my hard drive up on a 2nd hard drive.

in your itune music folder there will be a file called iTunes Music Library.xml and another file call iTunes Library.itl. I dont know which one is the file that stores everything just back them both up.
    Then unistall itunes and then reinstall it. Then make sure those 2 files are in the music folder where everything is stored. It will see the 2 data base files and make that you libary. Then it goes though and checks to make sure everything is where it belongs. That should fix you problem.

If it doesnt that means you will need to unistall itunes again and go find a folder in Application data folder and delated that as well. The Application data folder is a hidden folder. It stores a lot of stuff for programs and a lot of uninstallers dont go though and remove it. It normally opination and it stays around for a faster reinstall later.
    but here is its location of that folder
    C:\Documents and Settings\*Username*\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes

You will want to delet that itune folder. In *username* it will be your user name or the adminstor who installed the program (I not sure on that one since no one really uses my computer but me and I am really the only account on it. But I think it just going to be the one installed it. I never boot up itunes log in as one of the other 2 accounts. (one for remote desktop and one account that is untouch and unused so I have a good one to go into in safemode if need to be. General policy of mine. On every computer I have one admin account that is only used if something goes wrong).

Either way I hope this helps. It a lot more indept that you will find from most people here who dont know a lot of the little ins and out of windows.

12. carcarvroomx thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, very helpful- thanks, I will use that if I decide to reinstall itunes. I would have to go save my brother's, too, then because he uses itunes on a different account. I'm not sure if that is why my ipod doesn't work but his does. He uses the admin account and I use my own (only because he constantly deleted my files before).

Thanks