iTunes / External Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Fourbin, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Fourbin macrumors regular

I've searched through the threads about using iTunes with music on an external hard drive but I still haven't found an answer to my question. I primarily want to keep my music on my Powerbook hard drive but there are some folders I have of music I'd prefer to keep on my external. Is there a way I can add this music from the external to itunes and use it only when the external is on? I have it in iTunes now but when the external is on and I go to play the track it dissapears from iTunes for some reason.

Thanks in advance!

2. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

iTunes will only let you have your files in one place. Go to "preferences -> advanced ->iTunes Music Folder Location." This by default is the "iTunes Music" folder in your "User->Music->iTunes" Folder. This advance panel is where you would change the iTunes Music Folder location to one on an external disk.

I have nearly 200 GB of music on an external hard drive - none on my laptop. I have found a way to "sync" all my Macs to this hard drive by copying the "iTunes Library," data file from the iTunes folder (in Users->Music) to the same folder on every computer. That way every time I have my external drive plugged in and boot up iTunes it sees the drive and all the music. Every time I add music though I have to remember to copy that "iTunes Library" file to the external drive so I can re-sync my other Macs.

In short, there is no way to have iTunes accessing more than one music folder location at the same time. You could, theoretically create 2 different "iTunes Library" data files - one for what's on your laptop and one for what's on the hard drive. Pain in the @$$ though.

I wish someone would write a hack to take care of this issue. Let us know if you have any other questions.