Itunes feature idea

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tuartboy, Jun 28, 2005.

1. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

So I was thinking the other day about my 20 Gb ipod and how it frustrates me that I can't put any lossless files on it because they take up way too much of my space. Then I was thinking how large my desktop drive is and how nice it would be to have all of my songs in lossless so I could really archive them instead of just having a low quality copy.

So...

What if you could have all of your files on your desktop in lossless and itunes would automatically convert your files to whatever format you want when transferring to your ipod. I know it would take forever to do everything, but once you get the first batch done, all you would have to convert would be the new things, 1 CD at a time. Quite reasonable I think.

Best of both worlds!

Maybe there is something out there like that and I just don't know about it, but I think it's a great idea and would make itunes the ultimate killer companion app for portable music players.

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

IIRC, there is a feature like this built in that works with the iPod shuffle. It would seem like it wouldn't be that hard for Apple to extend that to all the iPod's with a simple software update.

3. bumfilter macrumors regular

Thanks for this topic, my friend was also talking about this feature and could have sworn iTunes already had that functionality but couldn't find the option for it. I assumed it had been removed for one reason or another but it must only work with the shuffle then.

I hope they extend that feature to all iPods, I'd love to be able to take all my music with me as I used to.

Anyway we can suggest this to Apple or hack it ourselves? Way out of my depth in that respect.

4. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

You could keep them both in the library, create a Smart Playlist with Kind = .mp3/.m4a and then manually manage the iPod to only add that playlist.

Thats kind of a crap way to do it but it would work, right?