iTunes Feature request

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iboi, Apr 16, 2006.

1. iboi macrumors newbie

Apr 9, 2006

There are two feature that I would like Apple to add to iTunes.

1. Is a tool that goes through your library and adds the beats per minute to the song file. It should be automatic as all the other tools I have tried require you to tap to the beat, fine for one song but not a library.

2. This is the big one. a Real DJ. Where you can throw a playlist at it and it will rearrange it to play in the best order and then cross mix with beat matching. It would also have a timeline so you could see the waveform and have the ability to fine tune this or insert tracks while things are still playing. A snap to beat feature.

I have looked around for DJ software but it is all to pro/manual. On the PC you have MixMeister which does it for you.

Unless Apple add this to iTunes or someone else writes a program like MixMeister. Then I will have to wait till I replace my Mac with an Intel one and then run Windows on! Silly as Mac are the pro choice for the music industry.

What do you think?
  2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

Apr 27, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Maybe iLife '07 will include iDJ. ;)

It seems like a little too much for iTunes, but it would be cool.
  3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    There is/was a piece of software called AskTheDJ that does what you describe, at a consumer level, and sounded really promising...sadly, it only supported playing protected songs if you use QT 6.5.1 or below, and has never been updated with respect to this issue, making it essentially abandonware to me. :(

I personally would *love* to see iDJ. :D
  4. VanNess macrumors 6502a

Mar 31, 2005
    Both of your requests are way beyond the scope of iTunes

The average Joe (or Josephine) could care less about a song's bpm rate and probably doesn't know what it is and/or it's relevance. The party mix feature is intended for simple, light DJ work of the type that most mortals can handle. Waveforms, track insertion, snap to beat, et al.? This stuff isn't in the general public's skill level or vocabulary.

There are plenty of apps to satisfy the specific needs of pro level DJs.
  5. iboi thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 9, 2006
    I know this is an advance feature but there is not any software (that I can find) that does what software on Windows can do. Which is really frustrating.

Ask the DJ is not good enough, poor interface and the transition between tracks is too short.

The MixMeister software is for creating a Full length Mix CD of you favorite dance songs. One discussion I have with a friend is that he is not able to mix music on a Mac. You can if you want to go to a Pro level but there is no in between.

It means if I want to be able to do this then I will need to buy a PC!!!. Which is cheaper than buying a Intel Mac and a Copy of Windows.