Itunes Folder?? Do I need it?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pcproff, Apr 27, 2005.

1. pcproff macrumors member

pcproff

As soon as I start listening to songs on iTunes it starts adding the songs to a folder under music/iTunes/etc. The folder contains music that is on my iPod's Playlist. Now the folder is around 800mb and when I delete that folder all the songs are gone and next time I autosync my iPod it takes away the song from my iPods playlists. What can I do to delete the songs and the individual folders without it affecting my iPods playlists. I do not want that used up space on my harddrive if those songs are already on my iPod and I dont listen to them on my laptop. Can anyone help??

Thanks in advance

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

First of all, you CAN NOT restore songs from your iPod to your HD (easily) once you remove them from your HD.

I think that this will work (haven't tried it myself though). Turn off auto-syncing in iTunes when your Pod is connected. Then, when you erase the song from your HD, it should not erase it from the iPod too.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

In the iPod options (must plug iPod in to get these from memory) you can uncheck automatic update by checking manually update iPod instead. This means that when you next plug your iPod in, you'll have to manually drag your songs across to the iPod in iTunes but this isn't all that hard considering you can do it in groups or as a single batch. I don't have my iPod with me so I'm not sure exactly how to get the iPod preferences but I'm pretty sure it's an iPod-looking icon down on the bottom right hand corner of iTunes. It's probably also in the iTunes Preferences under the iTunes menu on a Mac (maybe the File menu on Windows?).

4. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

Tinker Tool is fairly easy.

5. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

Do what they have said for syncing the iPod. . . as for your iTunes folder, if you want to change the location of the folder then in the iTunes preferance pane go to advanced and you can change the file. you can also uncheck the 'keep iTuens Music folder organized' and the 'copy files to iTunes Music folder' and with those unchecked when you play a song it will remain in its origitnal location and wont keep creating an iTunes Music folder with a copy of the music. hope that helps!

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Random interjection of whining :D, but am I the only one who finds it really annoying that iTunes won't give you iPod options when the thing is unplugged? If iSync can do it.... :rolleyes:

BTW, I know that on iPodLounge, people have discussed how to store music only on the pod and not on the computer, but how will you make new playlists once you delete the music on your computer? Can you make playlists directly off the iPod, while it's plugged in?

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, it sucks about the preferences thing. :(

On the plus side, you can make playlists for the iPod when not automatically updating. You can either create them conventionally through iTunes (easy way) or you can create On-The-Go playlists through the iPod and rename them once you re-sync.

8. pcproff thread starter macrumors member

pcproff

Thanks guys

WOW! you guys are great I left work about 20 min from my network admin (windows) job and 20 min later here I have 5 responses. I am going to set the option to manual update list just hope I will still have my playlists on my iPod dont really care if they stay on my iTunes.

9. pcproff thread starter macrumors member

pcproff

It worked

OK I went ahead and deleted all the folders iTunes created which equaled about 1gb and then the songs were gone from iTunes Libary but not from iPod which is what I wanted. So now I have 1gb of space open for something else rather than music I just wanted to import into my iPod just make sure not to touch the autoupdate on the iPod settings..

10. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Just a really quick question...

What do you have on your computer that you can't spare a gigabyte or two for music?
    Seriously, I understand the people who have 20-30 gigs of music needing to make room...but one gig?

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Also, from someone who lost their song collection a few months ago, don't rely on just the iPod for safe storage. It's a pain in the butt re-ripping music.

12. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Yeah, you're going to be pissed when your iPod gets stolen/broken/drowned/dead and all your music is gone... that's why the system is designed to keep a copy on your HD, so the iPod is merely a duplicate. Unless of course you really enjoy re-ripping all your CDs... personally 1gb of disk space is worth less to me than a couple hours of ripping. And, anything you may purchase on the iTunes Music Store will be gone forever, they don't let you re-download. But perhaps you don't use this anyway.

Not trying to bash, just pointing out things other users have learned the hard way.

13. pcproff thread starter macrumors member

pcproff

Excellent Point

But I have the mp3's in a folder called "music" why have it duplicated in a folder called itunes/music??? :confused:

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If you're happy with it as is, leave it, but I find it really easy having iTunes look after my music files. Once you've imported the songs, delete them from the second music folder and you'll have a great interface to play them with.

Of course that's just my opinion.

15. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

I've read about ppl being able to re-download (on these boards somewhere) after getting in contact with apple. They do give you the evil eye :).
    Re-ripping does suck.

As for your your music folder pcproff, i'm completely with mad jew. But you use wathever feels right ;).

16. pcproff thread starter macrumors member

pcproff

17. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

If you have it in a folder called 'music' AND it copies it to iTunes> Music, what you really should have done is delete the 'music' folder and not the 'iTunes>Music' folder. You have iTunes prefs set to 'copy music to iTunes folder when adding', so the version you added is duped to 'iTunes>Music' and referenced from there, making the versions in 'Music' useless anyway.

It seems odd that you would remove the versions being references by the iTunes instead of the old copies. If you want to keep your folder and not have it dupe into the iTunes folder, set it in your preferences to work that way.

18. moot macrumors regular

There are such things called DVDs, which can store data on them (ie lots and lots of music files) ;) Seriously, though, there is no need to re-rip. You can just back them up on a DVD or several CDRs.