iTunes folders

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by nicos, May 16, 2002.

1. nicos macrumors newbie

Hi all

Right, well I have been really good. Until now I haven't complained about all these strange extension names. I haven't even said anything about being forced to use Windows-like folders like Music Documents Movies etc. But really.... I haven't imported that many CDs (only just 3, until I know how to manage the whole thing a bit better) and already I don't know where they are saved.

"Unknown artists" folders are created with some named songs in them, others with nothing in them; one CD (that is, one play list as I haven't ordered them differently yet) maybe be split between several folders; moving folders around, even with nothing inside them results in playing list being lost

Is it my iTools that's not very orderly? Is it me? How do you control your files?

Thanks for any feedback!

Nicos

2. Wildcat macrumors regular

If you want to get at the actual mp3 file here is where they are.
    hope this helps

Attached Files:

3. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I haven't had this problem at all... yeah, it'll create "Unknown" stuff unless you put in the correct ID3 tag info before you rip your mp3's off the CD. Do you have the CDDB automatically download the album information from the internet? I don't see how iTools is related...

At the very worst, reorganize the mp3's yourself in your music library. (Music folder.) Then delete all your songs in your iTunes library (WITHOUT deleting the original files, of course) and re-import them. It's a pain but it sounds like you could use a little starting from scratch.

4. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Yeah, that brings up another point: don't let iTunes bury your mp3's! A much more logical choice is to use your "Music" folder inside your user folder. You can set up your default music library folder inside of iTunes preferences.

5. stromie952 macrumors regular

Another possibility is to just make a regular folder inside your hard drive called Music.

I guess I am just used to doing that from OS 9 and before, but it makes everything very easily accessible.

I do this, but on my external Firewire drive b/c my iBook only has a 10GB hard drive :D

6. nicos thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all these advice for novice - exactly what I needed. I'll try them as soon as I get home!

Ciao