iTunes for Windows half as slow?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jeremy.king, Nov 3, 2003.

1. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I am an avid Mac fan and unfortunately, a PC user...

I was just playing around with iTunes in Windows and wanted to test its ripping speed and much to my surprise the fastest I can get iTunes to rip is 4.1x

I use RealOne Player (the licensed version) for my usual PC music manager and it rips at almost 8x (7.8x to be exact).

Both are ripping at 192Kbps and during my unofficial testing, both were the only application running.

Now I would love to use iTunes, but I like my music being in one folder without nesting, and right now I can't figure out how to disable that when ripping CDs. I have the "Keep my music organized" unchecked, but that doesn't seem to apply when ripping. Second, I like to rip my CDs at a good speed.

Anywho, just wondered if anyone out there knew why there is such a difference in ripping speeds? My only guess would be MP3 encryption software...not really sure though...

Also tried using WMP, but it doesn't give me a speed rating just a percentage.

This is important to me.
  2. Frisco macrumors 68020

Sep 24, 2002
    I heard this before from others. Apple hopefully should fix this shortly in an update.

I assume you have error correction turned off. Error correction will further slow down importing of cds.