itunes for windows me

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by beloved84, Jul 31, 2006.

1. beloved84 macrumors regular

i have a windoews ME OS. is there an itunes version that would work with it?

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Sorry, no.

There are a few programs out there that will let you use an iPod, but iTunes and its store are out of the running.

3. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

If you have windows ME and haven't switched to the mac already, please, please do yourself a favor and either upgrade to 2000/XP or downgrade to 98SE. Both are FAR superior and you'll definitely crash less often. Those famous blue screen of death jokes became famous because of ME.

4. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Yes, Windows ME was BY FAR the most terrible Windows OS. I seem to remember when we 'upgraded' from 98SE to ME, my god it was terrible! Half the features weren't finished, it used to crash far too often (even for a Windows based system), half the software we had didn't run on it, we constantly had networking problems etc...

beloved84 - consider upgrading to at least Win 2000. Will you use your MacBook when it gets back though?

5. beloved84 thread starter macrumors regular

what are those programs?

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You could try Winamp with the mliPod plug in. I haven't used it so I don't know how well it works though. :)

7. Silentwave macrumors 68000

You should really consider switching as said above, Microsoft has even abandoned it (and win98 too)

8. Sathos macrumors regular

Maybe this is an exception to the rule but... ME ran far better than XP on the PC my family used to have. Never crashed.

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The first computer I ever bought was a HP Pavillion running ME. It was horrible, dead-set awful. Never seen a computer crash so often and so badly. It eventually stopped turning off after a while so everytime I wanted to shut it down became a fight against just hitting the button. Turning it back on took three or four goes.

I installed more RAM and XP and it was like a whole new machine, fast, reliable and all the hardware worked properly again.

Your best bet would be to upgrade to at least Windows 2000 with all the service packs (I think there were 4) or even try out XP if you think it could handle it.

ME was a disgrace.

10. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

vPod can be made to work with a little tweaking.

You could try the old version of MusicMatch. Version 9 will run, you may or may not be able to get current iPod models working, but this is what Apple used to include before there was iTunes for Windows.

There is also XPlay. Lots of people seem to like this one.

Good luck. I understand perfectly well that upgrading Windows is probably a waste of money if you're only using this machine temporarily while you wait for Apple to finally get a working machine out to you.

11. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Huh?

I seriously hope you're kidding.

12. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Upgrade to XP if you want to use iTunes. I wouldn't use those "other programs."

** Warning: Microsoft Fan Boy Alert ***

I must have been the only person that liked Microsoft Me. I mainly bought it for the Movie Maker program. It is the only cool app that ships standard with any current Windows OS. The only way to really edit Windows Media players. Second, I liked that fact that it starts up faster than Win98 and has a cleaner startup process. It hides the DOS crap more than Win3.1/95/98.

It ran everything I had with Windows 98. Device drivers was an issue. It seemed to be combination of 98 / 2000.

Later, I switched to the Mac because of iMovie and ditched Movie Maker.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

For the love of God, get off WinME. I totally agree... get a copy of XP off eBay or something. :(

But in case that's impossible, do you need iTunes in the sense that you...

- Want to play protected AAC files from iTMS?
    - Want to sync an iPod
    - Just want an MP3 manager

?