Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmarff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2003
chicago
is anyone else having a problem where itunes for windows won't display the contents of a cd when it's inserted? i am. if anyone has a suggestion, i'd really appreciate it...

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
Go to Advanced in the Menu bar.

Click Get CD Track Names

Is that what you mean or are u saying you can't even see the Track Numbers?

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
make sure you're using the latest drivers for your CD drive...

i think apple may have dropped the ball... so many reports of it not recognizing drives and burners... ouch...

pnw

D

davrouk

yeah but they are not used to trying to support every piece of hardware under the sun to be fair

mmarff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2003
chicago
no

the cd itself isn't even showing up in the left pane. i wish it was a matter of preferences, but i'm afraid the problem is probably deeper... like an unsupported drive. i went to apple's tech support site for itunes for windows and it seems i'm not alone in this...

mmarff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2003
chicago
phone # doesn't work

i tried that support # and it said it couldn't be reached from my area... if anyone has any more support #s to call, i'd appreciate it

Hugin777

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2003
Copenhagen
CD insertion problem - was Re: no

Originally posted by mmarff
the cd itself isn't even showing up in the left pane. i wish it was a matter of preferences, but i'm afraid the problem is probably deeper... like an unsupported drive. i went to apple's tech support site for itunes for windows and it seems i'm not alone in this...

Do Windows normally detect that you insert a CD ? You can tell Windows to ignore when CDs are inserted - particularly if you want to disable AutoRun... If Windows ignore newly inserted CDs iTunes may not have a chance. Maybe there is a way to tell iTunes to check the CD drive for media ?

synthetickittie

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2002
Boston
RESTART YOUR COMPUTER!.. I just tried it on my roommates pc and it wasnt playin cd's and I restarted the computer and all works perfect

mmarff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2003
chicago
autorun

i tried every possible configuration of auto run... one of them being when i inserted the cd, windows prompted me to choose what i wanted to do and one of the choices was "play this music cd with iTunes", and even when i clicked on that, iTunes failed to play or recognize the cd. so sad...

and by the way, restarting my computer was the first, second and third thing i did, so i know that's not the problem

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
Are u in Canada?

Did u try running a Windows Update on your computer? Sometimes that will find updated cd drivers on your computer. If not go the cd manufacture's website to get the latest cd drivers.

Canadian #
1-800-263-3394

mmarff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2003
chicago
no, i'm in chicago... all updates are current... checking for manufacturer updated drivers now...

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
Please keep us informed.
We don't want to lose a potential i-Tunes user.

Trust me it will be well worth the hassle ;)

mmarff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2003
chicago
updated firmware

i updated the firmware, restarted and it appears to work now... we'll see about burning yet, but at least now i can replace all these mp3s with aacs...

mmarff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2003
chicago
hmmmm...

can't say that it's completely fixed... when i insert a new cd, it does not refresh in the source panel. i have to close iTunes first and then when i open it back up, the new cd shows up. strange. oh well... ripping works, burning works... can't say that i'm disappointed. :)

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
Really, its apples developers, developing for Windows, when there are 100's of 1000's of configurations on a PC. I am not surprised that some people are having issues. Windows is a hard platform to program for . . . especially when you are an apple developer used to the hardware restrictions and branding that apple has.

Of course, not all the developers are used to developing for macs, there are windows developers that they outsourced and hired. . . which makes even more understandable that there are bugs:D

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Originally posted by Laslo Panaflex
Of course, not all the developers are used to developing for macs, there are windows developers that they outsourced and hired. . . which makes even more understandable that there are bugs:D

now now. play nice. they don't put all those bugs in there on purpose. :D :D

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
mmarff,

Sorry to hear that you still have this CD problem. Seems like Apple has some bugs to work out tomorrow!

macktheknife

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2002
I'm having problems too

I'm working on a Gateway laptop. iTunes doesn't seem to recognize CDs for some strange reason. Hope this gets fixed.

Before any of you start snipping about "Apple doesn't have to time to get develop for all CD players out there" or "Get a Mac", blah, blah, blah, just remember that if MusicMatch can play my CDs flawlessly, why can't iTunes?

So far, so good, Apple: Just fix the CD problem.

oldschool

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by mmarff
no, i'm in chicago... all updates are current... checking for manufacturer updated drivers now...

were u the guy who caught the ball, thereby changing the course of history? :D

mmarff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2003
chicago
no, i was the guy who couldn't afford a $400 ticket to get into the game, standing in the middle of waveland avenue, drinking liquor out of a sprite bottle, crying for my cubs and waiting for the curse to be lifted...

iTunes: everything minus the cd recognition is great. bought an album from itms, made a playlist, burned a cd, and synched everything to my ipod with such ease it made me wonder how the guys at musicmatch stay in business. :)

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
I got this from another post. See if it helps.

You need to manually enable a "service" on Windows 2000/XP machines

Here's how:

First, make sure you have administrative right to your PC

Go to the control panel --> Open Administrative Tools

Double click on Services, from the list on the right, find an item called "GEARSecurity". Double click on the item, a new window will show up.

Start the service by clicking on Start. It will take a while.

After the service has been started, run iTunes.

mmarff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2003
chicago
GEARSecurity

yeah, i found that on apples support forums, too. however, when i went in my control panel to start the service, it was already running. i stopped it, restarted it, restarted my computer, opened up iTunes and put in a cd and had the same problem. i was really concerned with this yesterday, but after seeing all the posts across the internet of people having the same problem i'm pretty sure this is something apple is going to have to remedy if they want to keep a steady customer base with it's windows users. the music store is far too profitable for them to just shrug off such a major issue such as this...

Dolphin84

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2003
Chalk up another unrecognized drive...

Hi all, this is my first post, though I've read these forums for some time (Now I actually have something to talk about ;) )

I, too, am using iTunes for Windows and have a optical drive that's unrecognized by iTunes. When I start up the program, I get this error message:

"Warning!
The iTunes service for importing and burning CDs and DVDs has not been started. Please restart the service to enable burning and importing."

I tried enabling the GEAR services, but I'm unable to start it (Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely manner). Now, oftentimes Windows itself doesn't respond in "a timely manner," but when your college forces you to buy Windows, one doesn't have much of a choice...

But hey, otherwise iTunes rocks! I've been a 'passive' Mac fan for a while now, just waiting for the opportunity to switch one of these days.

Hope the error message info helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.