iTunes forced to upgrade to v.11

Discussion in 'iMac' started by nomowindo, Feb 9, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

I didn't want to upgrade to iTune V.11 but for some reason iTune decided upon itself to do so. I was running iTune 10.7 and happy with it to an extend since I had to call Apple because I had difficulty synching.

Anyways, I even selected to not get the reminder not to update for at least 90 days but still it went ahead. I let the upgrade take place but at the end I didn't agreed. I went ahead to Time Machine and reset iTune from TM in order to run iTuneV10.7.

However, now I can't synch my iPod I get an error message (-42408). On my iPod 5 I got a message to go to Preferences and select to Restore back to Factory settings. But if I do that it will forced me to install V.11 which I don't want it.

I thought that if I went back to TM I could install iTune to the same version I backed up in TM. I need help

2. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd say there there a files either in /Library or ~/Library that itunes is using and is causing a problem for you

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Why do you say that please explain

4. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

well that's the problem I'm facing when I check which version iTune I have installed it still shows 10. But when I try to synch my iPod then I get the error message and telling me to reset to factory setting.

How can I reset it to factory setting w/o installing v.11. I shows specifically that by restoring automatically it will installed the latest version of iTune V11

6. macrumors 68040

Giuly

What's the benefit of not upgrading to iTunes 11?

7. Guest

Sky Blue

change is bad

8. macrumors 68040

Giuly

You might want to downgrade to iTunes 0 (or 0 iTunes) then. Here's a screenshot:
    [​IMG]

9. d0nK, Feb 10, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2013

macrumors regular

iTunes 11 is more constraining. Not built for people who want easy control of their music collection.

There are many usability issues; the music tabs don't sync with each other when switching between them, the Songs tab doesn't allow artwork, you are severely limited to what you can order your collection by in all tabs but the Songs tab (which doesn't include artwork!), search usability is bad, etc, etc, etc.
    It all adds up to a frustrating experience for me.

10. thread starter macrumors newbie

But still I haven't got any answer to my posting.

How do I get iTune 10.7 back I have installed in TMachine but iTune is forcing to to reset to factory setting forcing me to install itune 11

11. thread starter macrumors newbie

ITune 11.

Dan

Thanks for taking real honest time to answering my issue. As you noticed, I kept getting a lof of replies but no substance.

I hear what you are saying. As you can see by my user's name that I have converted to Mac and no mo windows for me, lol. However, I do share your sentiment about how Apple handles issues when customers have vented their dissatisfaction about some Apps or products.

I'm still very annoyed about how iTune took it upon itself to make the upgrade, and then when I tried to restore from TM or other means I found that that I was wrong. So what's the use using TM eh?

In any event, I had no choice but to upgrade to iTune V.11, and they showed me how to change the appearance to look like V.10. So far, I haven't had any big issues.

On the other hand, I have been experiencing a global issue, so is not only me .But again, Apple as decided to look the other way. It seems that people are dealing with a very weird behavior, ie., the iPod turns on by itself (music), even when its on a nightstand no movement.

I have contacted Apple they are aware but haven't done Jack.

I appreciate the instructions you sent me I already made a copy just in case I need to go back to V. 10

12. macrumors regular

iTunes 11 search is terrible if you have a large music library. It lags and hangs up my system, which in turn makes it less stable. iTunes 10 never had that issue. If it was possible to turn off the drop down menu search, I would. The hiding of the playlist menu is an annoying feature, so I turned it off. I do like the Play Next feature.

----------

Exactly the same deal, lol. I DJ and iTunes 11 is a mess for managing my library. I'm just afraid of losing my playlists, which are essential when you have several hundred gigs of music.

13. macrumors 6502a

smoking monkey

I don't think there is any way the OPs computer has DLed itunes 11 without him having some setting allowing this to happen. Perhaps check software update in sys prefs.

I simply don't think it's possible. It's either user error or user confusion re the state of settings.

But good luck OP in getting back to iTunes 10. There's no way I'm upgrading until this new version matures.

14. eco7777, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2013

macrumors member

Change Danny for Max and 1988 for 1986 and you are me