iTunes freezes after 30 seconds

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by plunk25, Oct 26, 2006.

1. plunk25 macrumors newbie

Sep 27, 2006
    I have an iMac with 10.4.8 installed. I've been using iTunes v6.x for months with no problems. Last week, however, I could open iTunes and start clicking around for about 30 seconds before the rainbow spinning wheel started. I let it go for about 10 minutes before I force quit and now every time I open iTunes the same thing happens.

Since v7 came out, I installed the update hoping that would work. That didn't, so I deleted one plist file from /Home/Library/Preferences and an iTunes folder from the /Home/Library and two plist files in /Home/Library/Preferences/ByHost. That appeared to fix the issue for a few days, but now we're back to the same issue.

Any thoughts as to what it causing this?
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Do you have an iPod connected? My iTunes acted like this when my old iPod's hard drive started failing.
  3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    How much RAM do you have in your machine and does it happen to all of your apps?

Do you have your content stored on an external drive...if so which one?
    Have you tried putting in a new itunes install?

4. plunk25 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 27, 2006
    I have 1GB RAM. It only happens to iTunes and I created a new user account and was able to launch iTunes successfully with that user.

And I only run off of my internal hard drive.

5. plunk25 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 27, 2006

I've been suspecting the iPod, but I wanted to make sure I was covering all of my bases with iTunes. And I just started getting the red circle with a line through it when I plug the iPod in...

6. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

Jul 29, 2005
    Don't step into the kawoosh...
    I had this problem with my iPod dock was plugged into a USB hub. If i plugged the iPod in iTunes would hang and do nothing. Once I plugged the dock directly into the back of the computer it worked and iTunes 7 is running fine.