Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

needatech

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2011
I've read a lot of posts, tried a number of suggestions, and even lost 1.5 hours of my life at the Genius Bar in an Apple store all with no resolution to my problems. Here they are:

Problems:
iTunes will not access iTunes store
iTunes will not backup my iPhone 4
iTunes will not sync my iPhone 4

Background info:
iTunes 10.5.0.142
Windows XP SP3
Lenovo T400 ThinkPad laptop

Thing I've tried:
Using the 'repair' feature of iTunes
Running the diagnostics in iTunes
Uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes
Checking the windows firewall settings to allow iTunes
Checking my network connections
Deleting the backup files from the hard drive

It all started when I download the latest version of iTunes. From that point when I would click "iTunes store" on the left side it would show "Accessing iTunes Store" on top but it would never load. Podcasts that i have set up with subscriptions in my iTunes plus my content all appear in my iTunes library and can be refreshed. I am however unable to access the iTunes store to get any new content. Two weeks ago I got an iPhone 4 16GB. I plugged it in and tried to sync it with iTunes. It would not sync. It would show that it tired but none of the content moved over to the iPhone. It would also try to backup but the backup would freeze and go nowhere. I left it running overnight and the slider bar never moved and no progress was made in the backup. I tried to upgrade the iPhone to the OS5 but it would not work because it could not complete a backup. I've deleted the partial backup files from the hard drive each time before trying again but to no avail. It's frustrating to not be able to access the iTunes store from within iTunes. It's frustrating to not be able to sync my iPhone with my content in iTunes. Any help would be greatly appreciated since I got nowhere with the Geniuses at the Genius Bar.

woodoglobal

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2011
Having the same problem

I'm experiencing exactly the same problem.

Have searched iTunes help but get no answers however seems to be a common problem!

Essentially iTunes is rendered useless as can't sync iPhone 4 to iTunes 10.5 and can't access Itunes Store - the Accessing iTunes Store progress bar at the top freezes halfway across and then clears showing the apple logo and a blank screen below. Can't access account info either though I can deregister/register the computer and it comes back with responses.

Adding to the comments from needatech I am experiencing 100% cpu usage on my ACER laptop - it has 2Gb memory running Windows XP SP3. As soon as iTunes loads it runs at 100% and stays there until iTunes is exited.

Help needed ASAP

I've read a lot of posts, tried a number of suggestions, and even lost 1.5 hours of my life at the Genius Bar in an Apple store all with no resolution to my problems. Here they are:

Problems:
iTunes will not access iTunes store
iTunes will not backup my iPhone 4
iTunes will not sync my iPhone 4

Background info:
iTunes 10.5.0.142
Windows XP SP3
Lenovo T400 ThinkPad laptop

Thing I've tried:
Using the 'repair' feature of iTunes
Running the diagnostics in iTunes
Uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes
Checking the windows firewall settings to allow iTunes
Checking my network connections
Deleting the backup files from the hard drive

It all started when I download the latest version of iTunes. From that point when I would click "iTunes store" on the left side it would show "Accessing iTunes Store" on top but it would never load. Podcasts that i have set up with subscriptions in my iTunes plus my content all appear in my iTunes library and can be refreshed. I am however unable to access the iTunes store to get any new content. Two weeks ago I got an iPhone 4 16GB. I plugged it in and tried to sync it with iTunes. It would not sync. It would show that it tired but none of the content moved over to the iPhone. It would also try to backup but the backup would freeze and go nowhere. I left it running overnight and the slider bar never moved and no progress was made in the backup. I tried to upgrade the iPhone to the OS5 but it would not work because it could not complete a backup. I've deleted the partial backup files from the hard drive each time before trying again but to no avail. It's frustrating to not be able to access the iTunes store from within iTunes. It's frustrating to not be able to sync my iPhone with my content in iTunes. Any help would be greatly appreciated since I got nowhere with the Geniuses at the Genius Bar.

robmurph

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2011
:mad: Having the same issue and to complicate matters, I was able to upgrade to IOS5 but now I cant restore my iPhone 4 - it just gets stuck at the status bar trying to sync. iTunes is consuming all of my CPU and I can't even get it to stop without powering off my system.

I'm experiencing exactly the same problem.

Have searched iTunes help but get no answers however seems to be a common problem!

Essentially iTunes is rendered useless as can't sync iPhone 4 to iTunes 10.5 and can't access Itunes Store - the Accessing iTunes Store progress bar at the top freezes halfway across and then clears showing the apple logo and a blank screen below. Can't access account info either though I can deregister/register the computer and it comes back with responses.

Adding to the comments from needatech I am experiencing 100% cpu usage on my ACER laptop - it has 2Gb memory running Windows XP SP3. As soon as iTunes loads it runs at 100% and stays there until iTunes is exited.

Help needed ASAP

woodoglobal

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2011
Wooohoooo we have a solution!

Try this folks - it has just solved my problem - iTunes 10.5 is running perfectly and only using about 50% CPU.

Start --> Programs --> Accessories (Right Click on Command Prompt) --> Run as Administrator then type in: Netsh winsock reset
Hit enter, restart PC, open iTunes, go to Store

Alternatively you can use the 'Run' icon just to the right of 'All Programs' when you click on start, past in Netsh winsock reset and enter.

Hopefully it works for you too.

For further reference material on this have a look at:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

All about resetting winsock

Cheerio.

Cheesey

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2011
Try this folks - it has just solved my problem - iTunes 10.5 is running perfectly and only using about 50% CPU.

Start --> Programs --> Accessories (Right Click on Command Prompt) --> Run as Administrator then type in: Netsh winsock reset

Alternatively you can use the 'Run' icon just to the right of 'All Programs' when you click on start, past in Netsh winsock reset and enter.

Cheerio.

I couldn't possibly be happier!!!!
Have been trawling various threads here and elsewhere on and off for the last 4 weeks or so - spending hours at a time downloading re-installing, crashing etc

THIS WORKED - I just set up a user account to specifically thank you
well done... am so relieved

jpesicka1

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2011
Thank you!

Cheerio.

I have been having this exact problem and had done everything they told me to do on the apple support to no avail been working on this for 4 days couldn't tell you how many hours. I can not tell you how excited I am. Thank you!

neocarpetbagger

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2011

Cheerio.

Beautiful! Just like the other poster, I also created an account just to thank you -- your post was immensely helpful and did the trick.

I performed these commands in the command prompt as admin:

netsh ip int reset c:\resetlog.txt
netsh winsock reset

After restarting, the iTunes store showed up. I am very happy at this point :D

Thanks again!

EDIT: Sorry for bumping an old thread; I just thought the fix was tremendously helpful.

Last edited:

Shanghai Joe

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2011
Thanks

Found this thread whilst researching exactly the same problem, followed the instructions and can now access the store again.

Prior to this I hd tried several other solutions including deleting every trace of any Apple product from my system.

Many thanks once again, I have no hesitation in giving this thread a shameless and well deserved BUMP

alan.surry

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2011
P**s poor software from a company that can do much much better

I run a small I.T. business, so I consider myself fairly technically aware. I too have registered an account just to post my comments, which go something like this: Itunes regularly fails with "missing CD drive" errors, "not installed correctly" errors, "unable to access Itunes store" errors, missing loads of artwork after itunes updates, etc, etc, etc. The list could go on, but I'm sure you get the point. In 7 years, I've only ever repaired four Apple devices, which suggests that they know a thing or two about building quality hardware, but I get the nagging impression that they don't really care how well their software works on the Windows platform. Surely they don't write software this bad deliberately? I'm about to format & reinstall Windows 7 and all my programs (again) to cure these problems. Easy enough for me, but a pain in the backside none the less. For some people, simply not an option :mad:

jamesxcypher

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2012
Eternally Grateful!

Cheerio.

You have no idea how much trouble you have saved me. I have 3 computers, all unable to connect to the iTunes store. I checked forums online to no avail. Finally last month, out of frustration, i reformatted my computer and installed a clean copy of Windows 7. Just so i can use the iTunes store on my PC again. Finally, after spending most of the day reinstalling all my drivers and programs, i was able to use iTunes with no problems, including accessing the iTunes store. But out of nowhere, i couldn't connect again yesterday! On my clean, practically fresh copy of windows!!! I emailed Apple for support, and they referred me to an 800 support helpline. However, i wanted to find a solution myself, so i continued to research. Then i found this! And the command prompt instructions you provided were super simple, and they worked. I can connect to the iTunes store now! And since i saw others had created a profile just to thank you, i felt compelled to do the same. Thanks for taking the time to help folks like myself!!!

detneirosid

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2012
Many thanks. After searching high and low on various forums i finally came across this thread which did the trick. i also created an account just to say thank you!

kylemcgee

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2011
Stuck on Accessing Itunes Store... Mac

I have seen various ideas about a solution for this issue, but not many for mac.. Any ideas? I can't reliably update my apps now as this message just stays on the screen when I click on update..

Any help would be appreciated..

Kyle

DaBoilerz

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2012
Thank you!

This just saved me! I'd been fussing with this problem all week, then found your Reset winsock message. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

shady48

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2012
Easy fix finally got iTunes working properly again!

The problems I was having

1. Couldn't access iTunes store no matter how long I waited.
2. AppleMobileDeviceService was hogging all of the resources even when iTunes was not open and no iPod was attached. Computer would run at 100% even with no programs open. VERY FRUSTRATING
3. Syncing and backing up took so long that I just didnt bother with it.

Tried no less than 4 different suggestions that I came across including uninstalling in a certain order and re-installing iTunes. I went to the Apple store and after telling me I should buy a Mac they did suggest that something is stopping iTunes from communicating with the iTunes store. I finally tried uninstalling my virus software (was using PC Tools Free). Not stopping the virus software but uninstalling and rebooting the computer. When I went back into iTunes the iTunes store opened right away. Also, AppleMobileDeviceService was running but not using any resources.

Went out and purchased Norton. Now iTunes and my entire computer is running great. Hope that helps someone out.

xtra4

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2012
Many thanks. After searching high and low on various forums i finally came across this thread which did the trick. i also created an account just to say thank you!

I am yet another who like detneirosid and all the others registered just to say thank you, your fix worked for me, thought thankfully I didn't have to spend too long searching before I found this thread. What was looking like a real headache is no longer a problem - Thanks soooo much:D:):p

Last edited:

nikobellic

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2012
almost had it

it did help the syncing problem but not the store one. i still cant access the itunes store...any more suggestions? i almost got it...just need one more solution to that store problem

darn

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2012
Created account just to thank you

Honestly my computer and itunes was behaving in such a bizarre way (granted only when itunes was open) that I thought I had some stupid virus that only affected itunes. That's how weird everything was...internet was fine, computer ran fine but when itunes was open, all other apps lagged terribly, couldn't get music to play, store couldn't connect, devices not recognized when trying to sync via wifi....

Things were so bad I thought something happened w/ the itunes store so I kept checking twitter and did time-sorted google searches.

Uninstalled and reinstalled. Nothing.

I did scan after scan. In my experience, viruses tend to cause computer lock ups and can prevent internet connectivity, which was exactly what I was experiencing. Used norton, malwarebytes, hitman, was in the process of getting kaspersky and avg when I decided to put as many symptoms into google as I could as a shot in the dark (seems like everyone has some "problem with itunes").

I can't thank you enough. This was truly baffling.

Last edited:

mistereric

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2012
Itunes can't access Itunes store

I struggled with this for some time but in my case it was simply the antivirus
program:

clicked on network threat protection options
clicked on view application settings
clicked on the box next to itunes until it says allow

birdparker

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2012

Cheerio.

ABSOLUTE GENIUS, likewise created account to say thank you, so brilliant fixed it straightaway! thanks thanks thanks!

aldoduke

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2012
Thanks Loads!!!

Another iTunes user thanking you for the tip on resetting winsock.
I tried a dozen other things including complete removal of iTunes to no avail.

One other comment that might help others, the reason I started messing with iTunes in the first place was a Windows process called AppleMobileDeviceService.exe that was taking 50% of my CPU even when I wasn't doing anything with iTunes! Trying to fix this resulted in a ton of wasted time. After resetting winsock, this process no longer takes a significant share of my CPU time under any condition. I'll conclude that the winsock problem caused the AppleMobileDeviceService to go into an endless loop.

Bottom line, if you are seeing high CPU usage by AppleMobileDeviceService.exe, try resetting winsock as described herein.

D.B.

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013
Recent & Solved

I recently got this problem, and the solution posted above worked great.

haris.ashraf

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2013
itunes gift card

this made my day I just got a free iTunes Card Code and it redeemed just fine! If you need a code check out freeitunesforever↔ com

jcdude70

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2014
iTunes freezes on start up

Hi everyone: I just came across this forum in searching for a solution to the fact that starting yesterday (10 June 2014) my iTunes completely freezes on start up on my Dell laptop running Windows 7. I've uninstalled/reinstalled iTunes four times with no success and, after finding this thread, and tried the solution provided by woodoglobal below but it didn't work.

When I start iTunes, I get the little MyLibrary start up and then as it starts, it begins to access the iTunes Store and then everything freezes.

Any idea what I can do? UGH!!!

Thanks ahead of time for your help!

jcdude70

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2014
Answered my own question

I solved my own problem so I wanted to share. Turns out something with iTunes Match was freezing iTunes on my Dell laptop so I went into Safe Mode and disabled it. After restarting my laptop, iTunes worked fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.