iTunes freezes with 5G iPod

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Scarlet Fever, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

My cousin replaced his ageing 1st Gen iPod with a 5th Gen iPod recently, and he can't get it to work with his iBook (933 MHz G4, 640 MB RAM, 10.4.6 - he's getting 10.4.7 as i type). iTunes works normally until he plugs his iPod in.

He has latest iTunes and iPod software, i got him to run fsck, repair permissions, zap PRAM, test the com.apple.iTunes.plist and com.apple.iPod.plist preference files by moving them to the desktop and retrying, and re-installing iTunes, but to no avail. Whenever he plugs his iPod in, iTunes freezes up with the spinning beachball. It only happens in his account; it works fine in his dads.

Any ideas?

2. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

if you tried all those complicated things. how bout trying The Five Rs.

3. Scarlet Fever thread starter macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

dammit i knew i would forget the simplest thing!

It works on the other account, so i doubt its an iPod problem. Still, he has reset, tried different port, re-installed software, and still no go.

4. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

the only thing left i can think of is to start fresh by reformatting the iPod on another computer (if possible) and then plugging it into your friend's computer (although, this is one of the Five Rs, so perhaps you've already tried it).

or take it to an apple store with the computer it is not working on (to show them how it does not work) and they will fix it or replace it.