iTunes freezes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Guacamole, Feb 2, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

Itunes is not responding, I wanted to update my iPhone 4, iTunes gets stuck on Accessing iTunes Store and that's it.
    I tried several times , had to restart , repair permissions and nothing.

This is iTunes 10.6.3 running on my macbook 10.5.8

is there a solution for this?

2. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Yes, there is a solution, but we need to find the problem first. How long has iTunes been doing this? Are there any other apps that exhibit the same behavior?

It could some corrupt files or corrupt sectors on the HDD which houses iTunes files. Does your MacBook do any other odd things that could be related?

3. thread starter macrumors regular

Since this is my old laptop , I only use it to update my iPhone , last time I used Itunes was weeks and weeks ago and it was fine
    Now it freezes also when I go to Software Update, it goes to Checking for new software but it never ends checking, I have to cancel to get out

4. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Well it's possible that the HDD is getting old and tired and probably has some bad sectors in it. Especially considering you have several apps having issues. There is a way to fix the HDD, if there are those problems with it.

I use a PC DOS-based program called Spinrite as a maintenance utility and data recovery utility on all my HDD's. You have to have an IBM-PC in order to use it though. You take the HDD out of the Mac and connect it to the IBM-PC and run the program. Below is my old MBP HDD in a Dell PC with Spinrite working on it.

Independent review of Spinrite (not me)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. thread starter macrumors regular

No, I don't have a pc... is there other way to check the hard drive. I did The Verify disk on utilities but it came back as OK

6. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

There are no other utilities that does what Spinrite does, but you can get a S.M.A.R.T. utility which can tell you the status of a HDD to a minor degree.

Here is one for Mac: SMART Utility.

Above text from Steve Gibson of the podcast Security Now, episode 385 (transcript)

7. macrumors 603

justperry

Before even thinking about hardware problems, make a NEW account in the Accounts Preference Pane, then login into that new account and see if the problem persists there.

If you don't have problems in the new account then the problem lies inside the normal account and can be solved.

8. thread starter macrumors regular

I created a new account and no problems with iTunes... I logged in again with my account and this time Itunes and Software update didn't freeze.
    Many thanks !

9. macrumors 603

justperry

Erm, that is strange.

Normally if you create a new account you have the problem or don't have them there, if you don't have them there and login into the normal account problems are still there.

Don't get this, and I think your problems will reoccur at a later point, if so login into that new User account again, use it for a while and if everything is OK then for sure there is a problem within your normal account, which can be fixed.

If that happens again, report back here.