iTunes, Garageband and Podcasts

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by isayhello, May 18, 2006.

1. isayhello macrumors newbie

May 18, 2006
    so i'm trying to create a podcast in garageband which is quite easy really no problem. but is there no way around ONLY being able to import mp3 files except from your itunes library?

this is pretty much **** as i have the latest version of itunes, and this didn't happen in previous versions, but now it won't allow you to play any music in itunes that is downloaded from the internet. which means i can barely put any of the music i want in my podcast cause i can only import from the itunes library. ARGH! what is even more frustrating is this only happens in the mac version of itunes. a work colleague and i just downloaded the latest windows version at work, and it does allow you to play downloaded music from internet in itunes. what the hell? why in one platform and not the other?

nice of apple to protect the big artists and not make it easy to help promote the small independent ones.

any workarounds would be nice to hear.
  2. Queso macrumors G4

Mar 4, 2006
    I'm not quite sure I have this right, but it sounds to me like you're downloading WMA files and trying to play them in iTunes. iTunes for Windows will convert the files to AAC, the Dolby format used natively by iTunes. This is meant for users who are migrating all their music from their Windows Media Player library.

iTunes for Mac doesn't have this conversion feature because Windows Media Player for Mac doesn't have library capabilities, so Mac users won't have a WMA library to convert over. Unfortunately, as WMP for Mac has now been discontinued by Microsoft, iTunes for Mac is very unlikely to add this feature in the future.

If this is the case, do the music songs you are trying to download come in other formats? Otherwise, you will have to download them on a PC, convert them in iTunes for Windows, then transfer them to your Mac iTunes library before you can use them.