iTunes Genre editing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Nosebleed, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Nosebleed macrumors member

Nosebleed

Ok I'll explain this as best I can...
    I want to edit the Genre List from the drop-down menu. What I've got is a lot of similar-but-not-same names for genres, and I want to delete the ones I don't use.

Select Song in iTunes
    Highlight that track
    :apple: i
    (genre dropdown menu at bottom-left of 'Info Tab')

The top of that menu has the options...
    None
    Custom

The rest of the menu is the Genres choices.
    In that list I have (for example)
    Hip Hop
    Hip/Hop
    Hip-Hop
    Hip Hop/Rap

This equals 4 descriptions of the same Genre

I want to delete 3, and I can't figure out how. (telling me to delete all Hip Hop tracks would be funny, but not conducive ;)-besides it'll still leave me with the Genre choices)
    Custom only offers the choice to ADD Genres-not Edit or Delete them.

Any thoughts?

2. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

Select your music library, open the Browse window (Command+B), select the genre listings you don't want, in this case the 3. All songs with those tags will be listed. Select them all and change their genre wording to the one you want. That should remove the 3 alternates.

3. Nosebleed thread starter macrumors member

Nosebleed

Thanks spicyapple. I have done as you suggested.

That method has removed the selected Genre from the Browse Window, but it has not removed that genre from the drop-down menu in 'Cmd I'.

4. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

The genre in the drop down menu has a preset number of categories.

For Hip-hop and rap, the correct genre spelling is "Hip Hop/Rap"

5. Nosebleed thread starter macrumors member

Nosebleed

Okay, I've done it.
    Its taken me a couple of reads (my time-zone might be a day ahead--but I'm a little slow :D )

What you were saying is that iTunes has a permanant/preset list of genres.
    To find these:
    Open the browse window
    Choose a genre and list all songs in that genre.
    Remove all listings in that genre by editing them to a different genre (in this case Hip-Hop -> Hip Hop/Rap)
    If the genre title is still on the (drop-down) list after removing all the tracks from that list, then it is the permanant title (un-removable) and it will remain in the list with no tracks.
    If however, it one of the 'man-made' titles (in this case Hip-Hop) then once all the tracks have been edited to a different title (Hip Hop/Rap) then that genre title will disappear.

The reason it took me a little longer was that the genre I chose to try out your recommendation, was 'Unclassifiable'. Which to me was a pointless title, but unfortunately for me was one of the iTunes permanent.
    Why I chose that classification, is that I dont have many Hip-Hop tracks, just a lot of different names for them.

Anyway, thanks again, this's been bugging me for some time :)