iTunes gift card: invalid number?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lieb39, Jan 8, 2007.

1. lieb39 macrumors 6502

lieb39

Hello everyone,

Both my friend and I got a iTunes gift card for christmas - but both of ours are being read as invalid when inputted in the iTunes store.. anyone else having any issues? I can't figure out what the problem is - I'm 100% sure I'm typing it in correctly..

Cheers.

2. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Where did you buy them from...recently there was a news item about people writing down the numbers off of gift cards and using them after someone else had added the money to them. Though I can't remember if iTunes gift cards have the # printed on them where anyone can see them or if the number is covered by that stuff you have to scratch off.

3. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

Do you think the person who got them for you still has the receipt? If so see if you can get it and take it to a local apple store.

4. 68164 Guest

I also encountered a problem trying to get a iTunes $20 card to be accepted by iTunes Store.

I bought the card in Sydney just before Christmas and it was a new format compared to some of the cards I had bought earlier in 2006. There was a number printed on the back of the card that said 'activation code' but that didn't work for me.

In the end I found I could peel off a sticker on the back of the card that revealed another code and it was successfulluy accepted by iTunes Store.

So my advice would be to check if you can't find a code under a sticker on the back of the card.

Cheers

M

5. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I've heard of people doing that, but you have to scratch off the thing to read the number.

6. raythepa macrumors member

[...recently there was a news item about people writing down the numbers off of gift cards and using them after someone else had added the money to them.]

I wouldn't even think of doing that

Its possible the card didn't activate correctly at the register at the time of purchase. I might go to the place i bought it first with my receipt and see if they'll swipe it again.

7. lieb39 thread starter macrumors 6502

lieb39

This is very interesting.. my receipt gift card no doesn't match the one in the back.. and either one doesn't work.. damn.

Cheers

8. FOCB macrumors newbie

I purchased 2 $25 app gift cards and found the sticker covering the activation code were pulling the letters from the card leaving blank spaces. Now I have to wait 24 hours for their support staff to respond with the missing code letters.
    Buy the lotto type scratch code covered cards to avoid this problem.

9. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

Don't be overly worried that your cards might be worthless - I have 2 itunes cards that were purchased from costco - both of them would show up as 'invalid'

I sent an email to customer support.. however, when I relaunched itunes after a few hours and tried them again, they worked. So sometimes it could just be a itunes verification issue.. or server problems.