iTunes has two music folders. It's total chaos.

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by nukiduz, Jan 24, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

nukiduz

Hi there. I looked for other entries in the forums regarding my problem but none of them answered the questions that I have concerning the chaos my iTunes library is become to.

Since iTunes 11 (I think) there are two folders that contain my music: iTunes Music and iTunes Media/music. The new files that I add to iTunes get stored in the second folder. The thing is: I'd like to delete some of the old songs I have on iTunes (they are stored on the first folder) but I just realized that when I delete them from iTunes, the actual mp3 files don't go into the trash can. I have to look for them in iTunes Music and delete then manually, after I do the same thing on iTunes.

I have learned that I can use the "Consolidate files" options to copy the old files in iTunes Music to iTunes Media/music but I have two problems with this:
    1. My iTunes Music folder weighs 140gb and I don't have that free space on my hard drive.
    2. All my music is organized in music genres (not smart playlists but manually) and/or in DJ sets. If I get to free 140gb in my HDD, will I get the old files equally organized? Will iTunes show me two entries for (almost) every song? How can I know which to delete?

I hope I made it clear enough (If not, pardon my non-native english) and that some of you could kindly give me some advice. Thanks in advance.

2. macrumors newbie

Itunes is the most complicated piece of garbage...

After just reading your post about having two music folders I have come to the conclusion after my nightmare of trying to get some eBooks in the Library that iTunes is the most complicated piece fo garbage I have ever used, or 'tried' to use.....someone who was or is mentally ill put this 'thing' called 'itunes' together....its a wreck. Unfortunately ,my wife bought an iPad so I'm stuck with trying to use this junk.