Itunes HD Movies, Are They Worth It?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iphone3048, Dec 15, 2010.

1. macrumors member

Aug 13, 2009
    I have the HD display so I was wondering if it's worth paying almost DOUBLE the price for HD movies? Is there somewhere where I can compare regular movie to HD?

Any of you guys buy HD movies from itunes or elsewhere?

2. macrumors 6502a

Sep 21, 2009
    Apple makes some content available free in HD as well as the HD podcasts out there. So there's plenty to use to evaluate for yourself. For me, yes, the HD is worth it. I found that the quality is very high for the HD content and pretty good for SD. When I have the option I go with HD.
  3. macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

Oct 13, 2010
    Yes, as the poster above said you can use the movie previews to see if you feel the movie is worth buying in HD.

Personally...sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't, and for a very low monthly fee they're all available in Netflix anyway! :)
  4. macrumors 68020

Aug 22, 2010
    Behind you
    you whiner :)
    hell their worth it, where i'm from we pay $40 for a regular dvd movie, so i got myself an american credit card. "Cha Ching!"

but seriously i don't know where you can get a better deal, only thing is they are protected by DRM so you cant play them outside itunes/ipod.
  5. macrumors 6502

Jun 19, 2010
    South Carolina
  6. thread starter macrumors member

Aug 13, 2009
    I think you are right. With this HD display every non HD dvd I watched looks really nice. Can't ask for more, specially with those high prices for HD movies.

But thanks everyone for your input.
  7. macrumors 6502a

Jul 10, 2009
    Depends on the movie
    do you really need to watch Weekend At Bernie's in HD? Probably not but if you want to watch something like Avatar then you might make the choice
  8. macrumors 6502

Nov 28, 2008
    Can anyone comment on how "HD" apple's HD files are? I am talking bit-rate, complexity, file size...
  9. macrumors 6502

Dec 9, 2010
    The DVD Player application does an exceptional job of upscaling non-HD content to HD resolution. It makes ordinary DVD's look really great, much much better than what a cheap $29 stand-alone DVD player would produce.

HD content is nice, but I need to wear my glasses to even see the difference, and I certainly wouldn't pay double the price for what is essentially the exact same movie.