iTunes & HD space

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by markeus, Jan 16, 2007.

1. markeus macrumors newbie

Hi I am using itunes to play my music and i have recently added all of my music from my cds into my library and the labrary says that i have 25GB of music in it, however my harddrive is saying that I have used 70GB of space used up.. Also i have some music in shared folders that i have gotten from limewire etc.. I was wondering does itunes duplicate my music and double it and thus use all of my hard drive space? or what!?!? I just purchased my mac at xmas time and the bulk of anything on it is music.. there is no way I have used a seperate 45GB of space on anything that I have installed.. I'm just trying to get to the bottom of my spave usage..

thanks
    Mark

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

If you allowed iTunes to organise your music, and did not import the music from cd/buy with iTunes, then duplicates are made in the itunes folder in music. it is good to have them here, but delete others from around your computer if they are already in iTunes...
    Good luck!

3. markeus thread starter macrumors newbie

most likely that is what happened, but how can i check if itunes is set to organize my music?

4. sofila macrumors 6502a

sofila

iTunes>preferences>advanced>check and de-select the options: "keep music folder organized" and "copy documents to iTunes folder..."