Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mixmaster, Oct 30, 2002.

1. mixmaster macrumors newbie

Oct 30, 2002
    Hiya Anyone, this is an appeal for help!

Theres this feature in iTunes to crossfade beteen tracks in playlist to make them blend into one another...

Only thing is, when i burn the playlist onto cd the tracks arent crossfaded, so if anyone knows how i can do this please let me know!

thanks a lot
  2. Fezwick macrumors 6502

Oct 5, 2002
    Rhode Island
    I dont think you can crossfade tracks on a cd. I think it's only for playing MP3's in iTunes.
  3. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    It's an iTunes built in function.

The only way to really get around that is to actually fade out the ending of file one with the fading in of file two. And that process requires an audio program, such as Audacity.

If you're new to Audacity, and are desperate enough to combine the tracks, practice listening and making effects with a track for about 15 minutes, especially with the fade in and fade, out after importing the track to Audacity as AIFF, just to get the feel. Also note how easily Audacity will crash on you. To guarentee no crashes, wait a full second before selecting a new point on the sonograph, or after performing an action, transition, etc.

To actually make a C/fade, encode one of the songs to Audacity (preferably from the CD) and make the fade out from there. Then import the second track from the CD into the same window, just by selecting Import, then the track from the CD.

IMPORTANT: To avoid exceeding what the speakers can handle (IE: to avoid clipped peaks of audio), insert an amount of silence equal to the length of track 1 in the second set of wavelengths, which make up track 2.

From there, make a fade in with track 2. You can delete some silence from track 2, little by little, to get the C/fade you are looking for. However, if you delete too much, track 2 will fall back into too much volume with track 1 and you will get very harsh sound, usually with static or some chopping on the speakers.

Finally, to combine the two tracks, select both tracks 1 and 2 (track 1 SHIFT track 2) and Quick Mix them. Both tracks will combine. If you feel you did not bring track 2 close enough into the fade out of track 1, you can go back and change it.

When you are finished, save the file as AIFF. This will give you both tracks "combined". If you want to C/fade more tracks into that, import track 3 into the combined tracks, which is just one audio file, and repeat the process. Be sure to save the project as an AIFF after EVERY successful C/fade.

Audacity is available for free here:
  4. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

Oct 12, 2001
    Roxio has the solution

If you really want crossfades on cd's the only way I found pretty easy was with Roxio's Toast & Jam. You get to select how many seconds they disolve into each other, how they dissolve into each other, and when the new track actually starts.
  5. madamimadam macrumors 65816

Jan 3, 2002
    Re: Roxio has the solution

I loved Toast with Jam back when it was just called Jam and have not used it since. It is a fantastic program but $$$$$$$

The cost of being a professional