iTunes help... Please!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by unchi, Oct 20, 2003.

1. unchi macrumors newbie

This is something that is probably quickly remedied, but as I am completely floored (in my three years as a dedicated mac user this is my first Apple software issue) I figured maybe one of you would know what I can do to fix this. I get an error message when I try to open iTunes, "The iTunes Music Library file cannot be read because it does not appear to be a valid library file". This happens if I try and open a MP3, an actual CD, the application itself, what have you. I recently updated to 4.1, but I am still getting the same error message. I've also tried deleting the program and re-installing, but I am having no luck.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Hmm.... well, you're not going to be happy about my solution.

Go to your Home directory in OS X.

Click on Music

You should see an iTunes directory. The iTunes 4 Music Library file in that directory is likely the file it's complaining about.

Just remove that file from the iTunes Dir and launch iTunes. This will cause your library index to be lost (the big list of music files) -- but your acutal MP3/AAC song files should be fine (they'll still be on your hard drive whereever they are kept). You may have to recreate playlists etc.... And drag your songs into the iTunes app again.

I'm not sure if that file is repairable at all... somehow I doubt it. In case, prob don't delete it right away... although a new one will be generated in it's place when u launch iTunes.

arn

3. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

you might try deleting
    /Users/yourname/Music/iTunes/iTunes 4 Music Library

and

/Users/yourname/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music Library.xml

actually, don't delete them. just rename them and move them somewhere else. you will lose things like rating and play count on the music, but i think that's it. you'll also have to add everything to your library again for it to show up. but if that file is corrupted, this should solve the problem. if not, though, don't lose the original. wait to delete it till you find out if this works.

again, this isn't deleting your library, just certain info about it that iTunes collects.

edit: rats, i was beaten by god himself. what pwnage...

kinda late to be up over there in NC, isn't it, arn? :p

4. unchi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys so much! iTunes is up and running!

I am a very, very happy girl!