itunes help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by amemoryoncelost, Jan 16, 2005.

1. amemoryoncelost macrumors 6502

Jun 14, 2004
    I'm slowly working my way to never using my PC again and only using my mac. I just got an ipod a couple of days ago and it's the best thing since sliced bread and top ramen(recovering college student). Anyways. I've had good luck in getting music on my ipod, but my problem is listening to streaming music through itunes or music I don't want on my ipod and when I plug my ipod in, it adds it automatically since all of that stuff is automatically added to the library.

I'm sure I'm missing something terribly simple here, I just don't see it. If anyone could point me to some sites that can give me general tips and advice on itunes/ipod use so I can listen to things on my computer and not have them on my ipod it would be great. I also have some doubles of albums for some reason, I think I put the album in one directory(itunes folder) and then added it from another folder later, so I have no idea how to get rid of the doubles.

I'm soooo confused!
    thanks for any help ya'll!

2. mcmav37 macrumors 6502

Dec 30, 2004
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Welcome. There are tons of resources for you. You could start with the iTunes tutorial or just go into the help section of the program (it has a ton of information). If you go into help, there is an entire page about how to choose which songs do or do not sync to your iPod. For example, in the program preferences, you can click "Only update checked songs" and then uncheck any songs you don't want to sync.

As for your other issue, the doubles, choose Edit-> Show duplicate songs and you can see which songs seem to be doubled up. From that point, you can do File->show song file to see where each copy is stored and simply delete one.

You also mentioned something about streaming music, but you weren't specific so I can't say anything about that.
  3. amemoryoncelost thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 14, 2004
    The streaming thing had to do with listening to music online, like through the itunes music store and then having them go onto my ipod since there was a check next to it. I haven't actually had this happen, just seems like it's something that would happen, so I guess I'll wait to see if it happens.

The duplicate thing worked out great! Thank you for that!

One thing I have run into is not being able to edit the song info. I have every album from a certain band, but it is labeled differently for one album and the next. So on my ipod, when I look under artist, it shows the same band(listed twice), but it's spelled differently, how do I change those? Also happened with another band whose album was titled differently.

Last question for the night. I have multiple albums on my ipod and when I go to listen to them, they are in alphabetical order, not album order, this expecially sucks for a few of the live albums I put on there. Is there anyway possible that when I put these songs on my ipod, they stay in the original order? The only way I can think of in my head is through playlists....

thanks for all the help
    I'm going through the tutorial right now and basically just messing around with my ipod and itunes, it's too much fun!
  4. amemoryoncelost thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 14, 2004

I figured this one out after some random wording in the search box on this site. I guess my permissions fr the folder weren't set right. So I checked the info on my music folder, set the permissions to read and write and all enclosed and now I can edit all I need to. I'll have to go through about 100 songs ot get everything right, but I think it'll be worth it.

I'm still stuck on the numerical order problem, I'll keep working on that...

5. amemoryoncelost thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 14, 2004

I htink I got this figured out. I was editing the info on each track of a five song album, did the 1 of 5 thing all the way through five and it seems to work on my ipod. Is there any other way of doing this though. I seriously do not like the idea of going through all of my songs to have them in order. By the way, all of my music is from my PS that I ripped ages ago.

If I'm thinking right and I know this will be my answer, but I'll probably need to rip all of my music again correct, or go through each and every song...