Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dbaze540i

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
North Carolina
I'm trying to move my mom's iTunes library from her MacBook Air to her Toshiba Satellite L455 using home sharing. She's decided she hardly ever uses the Air (she only got it because she couldn't sync her iphone to the Toshiba..dumb) so she wants everything put on her toshiba and she's giving me the air :D:D:D.

So far, here's what I've done.
Satellite - for some reason, around the time my mom got her 4s, itunes refused to update. I tried everything short of reinstalling windows to try and make it work, to no avail. Without updating, she couldn't set up her icloud for her iphone and ipad, so my stepdad decided the best option would be to buy her a $1000 MacBook Air for christmas. Most expensive iTunes update. Ever.

Eventually I got everything I needed together, backed up her documents and music from, burned a Windows 7 installation dvd, and did a clean install of Windows 7 Home Premium (x64). I used the original serial key for the windows that came installed, and everything seemed ok. I then installed itunes and microsoft office. She took the computer back home and ripped a few cd's into itunes, and god knows what else.

MacBook Air - 11 inch, 1.6GHz, running OS X 10.7.5
I've updated iTunes, both computers are running iTunes 10.7 64 bit.

So, I go to set up Home Sharing on the Mac first. I consolidate the library and verify it's location. Home sharing was already turned on, so I turned it off. I then went to iTunes Preferences and made set it to share my entire library on local network, no password. I then turned home sharing back on, logged in with my mom's apple id and created a homeshare. Then I went to the Toshiba, turned off the homeshare, deauthorized the computer, and restarted. Reopened iTunes, authorized it on my mom's apple id, made sure sharing was on in preferences, and turned home sharing on. I created a home share on the toshiba under the same id, but I when I hit done, the mac library doesn't show up on the toshiba. I went back to the Mac, lo and behold, the toshiba library with like 50 songs is showing up in the shared section of iTunes. Basically, Home Sharing is doing exactly the opposite of what I want it to do. For the life of me, I can't figure it out.

I've done this before from my old PC to my new PC, and it took a while but worked very well. So what else should I try?

Also, I have a 1.5tb Seagate external hard drive. I was going to try to move her library with that, but I didn't realize I would have to reformat the drive to FAT32 to work on windows and osx. I guess I could do that, but I have more data backed up on there than memory to put it on. I'd rather not because that would mean losing some stuff, primarily my acer that is getting fixed right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.