iTunes - I have questions and rants!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by d_and_n5000, Mar 28, 2006.

1. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

Oct 6, 2005
    I am mad at my Dell. True, I usually am, but now more than ever. It doesn't like iTunes anymore.:( Every time I try to open iTunes up, Windows gives me a message: 'iTunes has encountered a problem and needs to close.' I am now rather nervous about my downloaded music. I can back them up in the My Music folder, but still. Any ideas on how to make iTunes and Windows work in more harmony than now? I've removed iTunes in Add/Remove Programs, and tried reinstalling iTunes multiple times, to no avail.:(

And now the assorted questions I've had about iTunes that have made me wonder:

- If I have my account authorized to download music onto 3 machines, and then I deauthorize one, does that mean that now I have two machines in my total, because one was deauthorized, or does the total disregard deauthorization? In other words: Does my machine total for iTunes count how many machines I've ever had authorized, or just the machines that are authorized at any one time?

- When I authorize another machine, does the iTMS put all of my downloaded music onto the music library on the second machine, or does it just authorize it to make purchases? I've been looking at titanium PowerBooks on eBay, so I'm just wondering.

Thanks to everyone in advance.
  2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    That sucks...sounds like your dell don't like itunes..i wonder why ummmm. Yea check your settings n stuffs.

You get to use it with 5 can and it will allow u to put it on another one(i dont mean the music just your account)..

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    The machines authorized at a given time.
    Nope. Authorizing will not transfer your music. That's just on that specific machine's HD. Authorizing only enables you purchase using that same iTMS (iTunes Music Store) account.
  4. d_and_n5000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oct 6, 2005
    OK, so to keep all of my machines in sync, I would hypothetically have to do something like have an external hard drive, copy new songs onto it, and just update all specific iTunes libraries from it, or something similar. Gotcha.
  5. plinden macrumors 68040

Apr 8, 2004
    Hmm, I had the exact same issue before my Dell desktop fatally died (t wouldn't even play nicely with Win XP - explorer kept getting corrupted somehow and reformatting and reinstalling didn't fix anything, but Linux still runs fine on it.)

Before it finally died, I did get iTunes running again but only after reinstalling XP.

Oh, and try uninstalling and reinstalling quicktime as well as itunes before you try reinstalling XP.
  6. d_and_n5000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oct 6, 2005

I've tried un- and reinstalling Quicktime, because Quicktime doesn't work with Firefox. Quicktime couldn't ininstall, it said, and I quote: "Quicktime Streaming Authoring failed to load because the versions of Quicktime Streaming and Quicktime Streaming Authoring doesn't match." Whatever that means.

But I would really like it if I didn't have to reinstall, mainly because it is a shared computer, and my mom is doing taxes with TurboTax. O joy.
  7. d_and_n5000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oct 6, 2005
    Update: I copied the entire iTunes folder in the My Music folder(which consists of iTunes Music, Previous iTunes Libraries, iTunes Library, and iTunes Music Library) onto a CD. Is this all the iTunes stuff I need to back up to make sure I have all of my songs and such safe from harm? And also: is reinstalling Windows the only way to fix this? I am really reluctant, seeing as this is the primary family computer, and I have a lot of school stuff on here. Thanks.