iTunes Idea: Bitrate Conversion On A Normal iPod

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Chimera, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Chimera macrumors 6502

I have ordered an iPod Shuffle which should (hopefully) be on its way shortly and one of its greatest features is iTunes ability to convert bitrates to 128 AAC when transferring onto the Shuffle.

Wouldn't it be great if this could be a feature for iPods and iPod minis too?

For example i would love to re-rip my entire CD collection at a higher bitrate than the current 128 so when i am listening at home on large speakers, or the music is being played via AirTunes to the great speakers we have in the living room the sound quality is also good. But I dont require the higher sound quality when on the move as i cannot tell the difference between the bitrates on my earphones.

I'm sure many will say 'Get a higher capacity iPod' which i'm sure Apple would also like (higher sales) but I am looking to the future and a 8-10gb mini early next year hopefully which would be a perfect size at 128 but not at any higher bitrates.

What do you guys think?

Frank

2. Fredstar macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

Hey there Frankie,
    I think you may well be spot on with a great idea, i am also getting a Shuffle soon and i would love if i could do that with my ipod. I hate encoding most things at 128 i wish i could encode my library at 256 as i have much better speakers.
    Take care old friend

3. Chimera thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Fredstar (Fred?) that the bitrate i would also like to use and with the Shuffle seems like we're in the same situation, anyone else have any opinions?

Frank

4. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

Great idea. :)

I mostly use 320kps or Apple Lossless (800 - 1000+kps) on my 3G 10Gb iPod. :D :cool:

5. Fredstar macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

Bumping this^
    Can some people request this in the itunes feedback?
    As said above i want to re-rip my whole album in 256 because i want higher quality on my computer speakers speakers/sitting room speakers but i only require 128 on my ipod. Obviously since i have about 1700 songs taking up 7 odd gigs of space i wouldn't mind it taking up another 7 on my 160 imac hd but i do not want that taking up another 7gb's on my ipod.
    So this is a fab idea and hopefully they are introducing this in itunes 5 perhaps.

6. jlewis2k1 macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

on my ipod i have the bitrate of 320 -_- same thing with my computer.

7. Fredstar macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunes.html
    The link for all of you guys.
    This is for those who want quality music at home because they have extra hd space and for those who have a lot of music and lets be honest on an ipod you can't really tell that much between 128/256kbps and the space is a lot more restricted on the ipod and a lot more valuable.