iTunes Import speed question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cgnjny, Oct 1, 2004.

1. cgnjny macrumors newbie

Jul 10, 2004
    I'm running 10.3.5 and have a 600 mhz older iBook with 384 ram.

Just wondering -- how can I "increase" my import speed when ripping CD's to the AAC 128 Lossless format? Is this possible? Is it dependent on cpu usage? Memory?

I've noticed that if I only have iTunes open, it rips faster and since I've upgraded to 384 ram and moved to Panther, it is a bit faster.

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Adding memory will definitely help you in your quest for faster ripping, but in the end, you will find that your biggest bottleneck is your proc/bus speed. Unless you get a faster machine, you will just have to be patient.
  3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    im just wondering, are you ripping the cd in Apple's Lossless format? or AAC 128 bit? these are two different things, the Lossless will take longer because its a larger file and contains more data, the AAC128 involves more compression
  4. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Apr 16, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    A faster CD drive also improves rippng speed, bt obviously this isn't something you can change on your iBook. In newer computers, such as the iMac G5, I think the CD drive's speed starts to become a bottleneck.
  5. cgnjny thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 10, 2004

In order to accomodate my need for fitting as many files on the iPod as possible, im sticking with the aac 128.

I tried the Apple Losless and found the ripping to be actually FASTER (achieving 10x) but since it's not as compressed, the files are way too huge.

Thanks and since I'm sort of a logistics Apple newbie, I somehow thought the Losless encoder and AAC were the same thing.

For a cheaper solution than getting a newer computer, I'm going to max the RAM and get a faster external drive.

Appreciate all the feedback.
  6. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

May 10, 2004
    I Come From A Land Down Under
    It depends on the computer that you are using and thee CPU. 'Importing' is 'optimized for the Velocity' engine inside the G4, and G5 processors, and, because you are using a G3, this will have some effect on your ripping. Unfortunately for you, there is no way to speed up the 'importing' on any computer, but with lots of ram, decent speeds can be achieved.