Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jm1786

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2005
So as of a couple of days ago, I haven't been able to connect my iPod to my Powerbook. I have a 30 gig video ipod and the last model Powerbook that they released last fall. the ipod wont show up on my desktop nor will it show up in itunes. So I am going through the "5 R's" as listed on the ipod help website. Well, I am reinstalling iTunes, but I can't get it to reinstall because the install file seems to have some sort of problem. I took a screenshot...anybody know what is up?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Have you dragged all traces of iTunes to the Trash and does the Easy Install look more promising? Spotlight might come in handy when it comes to uninstalling iTunes. :)

jm1786

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2005
The Easy Install does not work either...it comes up with an error that says

You cannot continue. There is nothing to install.

All I did was drag the iTunes icon from the Applications folder into the trash and empty the trash. I searched for more files on spotlight but there are 1,000's. And I need to keep some of the prefs and other stuff. It might take a LONG time to sift through that, and if that didn't work...thatd suck.

jm1786

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2005
well, i found a help file on the Apple support site , and found the 2 files I had to delete. So now that I have itunes back. My iPod still won't connect. I can't restore the ipod because it won't connect! I think I am going to have to go in. Is there a way to restore the ipod by itself? Without connecting it to the computer?

jm1786

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2005
mad jew said:
You can reset the iPod, but I'm not sure how much it'll help. When plugged into your Mac, iTunes and Finder don't recognise the iPod, but does Disk Utility (in the Utilities folder) recognise it? :)

I have reset it a couple times and it still doesn't work. It doesn't show up in either the Finder, iTunes, nor in the Disk Utility. The only thing that I can think of that would have caused this problem would possibly something to do with it being docked in my iHome alarm clock, which can control the ipod from remote buttons on the alarm clock. Maybe the interface software screwed it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.