iTunes - iPod Authorization Question

Discussion in 'iPod' started by BWhaler, Oct 7, 2006.

1. BWhaler macrumors 68020

Jan 8, 2003
    I am confused by the new library & iPod syncing relationship in iTunes 7.

I hope my friends here can help straighten it out for me.

In the past, if you plugged an iPod into a computer where the iTunes library was not "paired" with that iPod, it gave you the option of erasing the iPod and syncing from that computer's iTunes.

But in iTunes 7, it seems to allow you to sync from the iPod to the computer, and long as the account names are the same.

So far, so good. Now here's my questions:

1. Is it now possible to sync your ipod from any computer as long as it is one of the 5 authortized ones?
    2. Or can you only sync your iPod from one computer still?

Thanks so much....

-- BW
  2. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Syncing music TO the iPod hasn't changed, what has changed in iTunes 7 is that Apple have allowed you to sync your purchased music FROM an iPod to any computer that is authorised to play the purchased music.

It only works for music etc. bought from the iTunes Store.

I don't know about syncing from only one computer as all my iPods are set for manual management. I find auto-syncing a major pain in the arse.
  3. BWhaler thread starter macrumors 68020

Jan 8, 2003

So, using iTunes 7, is there any way to sync my iPod across multiple computers?

I keep most of my content at home, but at times I am on the road and want to download a song or tv show that I just purchased.

Is there anyway to do this?

Thanks so much.
  4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    The only way to do this is still to set your iPod to be manually managed as opposed to automatically sync the entire library or selected playlists. This hasn't changed in iTunes 7. :)