Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fivetoadsloth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
Hi, a friend of mine has a 60 gig vieo ipod he downloaded itune 7 plugs it in unplugs it and freezes. He calls me and i have him reset it it starts up again and same problem. He uses win xp and is somewhat of an illeterate so he gave it to me to see if i could get it working. I tried to reset and got the same problem it freezes right away. So i plug it into my macbook and it does everything fine so i try to restore it and i get an unkown error 1418. I cannot figure out what is wrong. When i tried to restore i did find out their is an update but i can get that either, same error. It is windows formated and to reformat it for mac it is through the restore part of itunes. Any ideas? Just trying to not cause him to have to send it tin to apple and get it repaired/replaced.
Thanks alot.

wyatt23

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2006
Forest Hills, NY
when you unplug is, are you ejecting the ipod first? also, how fast is the windows comptuer he's using.

my old Emac can barely handle the ipod going in and out, she takes a little bit to get situated once the ipod plugs in and once more when it's unplugged.

fivetoadsloth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
wyatt23 said:
when you unplug is, are you ejecting the ipod first? also, how fast is the windows comptuer he's using.

my old Emac can barely handle the ipod going in and out, she takes a little bit to get situated once the ipod plugs in and once more when it's unplugged.
yeah i eject it and im sure he does. The issue is it doesnt respong. like ill eject it and it will be stuck on the Do Not Disconnect Screen. Ill reset and and it wont move from the Music, Photos, Videos, etc screen.

fivetoadsloth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
I just realized that when it is frozen it does recgnize the menu circle? dont know what it is called exactly. The screen stays frozen but when i hit anything the backlight does go on. Also when ireset it and it just tuirn on it shows all the languages, but i can not select any of them, or at least the screen doesnt change letting me know i selected one. I also ejected it and plugged it in and found it didnt showe in itunes so i open finder and see it i clcik on it and it says the volume for ipod cannot be found. Any ideas? thanks so much.

fivetoadsloth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
after spending a good chunk of time i got it to work for about 30 seconds and than it freezes again. i cannot figure this one out....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.