Itunes / iPod question

Discussion in 'iPod' started by gooner21, Feb 3, 2006.

1. gooner21 macrumors newbie

Hi Guys

Im thinking of getting an iPod for my birthday in a few weeks and have heard something that might sway me from getting one

Im planning on getting the 30Gb ipod and plan to put all my Cd's on (close to 100) As this will obviously take up a fair amount of space on my PC's hardrive, I was planning on doing 10 or so, uploading to the iPod with itunes, then deleting them from the PC to free up some space and then do the next 10 etc (only have about 15-20 Gb on my PC left unused)

Ive heard though that if I do that, then when I do the second lot of 10, it will wipe the first 10 uploaded which basically means I will have to keep these on my PC !?!!? doesn't make sense to me, Surely you can do this without using all your PC space ?

I have iTunes on my pc already so have a little knowledge of how thats set up (currently looking at "my Music folder")

I have done some mucking around and discovered if I delete the songs from the PC, it shown in iTunes library as having a exclamation mark next to the song, obviousy because it cant find it..anyway around this problem cause I really want to get one !

Help.............

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

What you want to do is go into your iPod preferences and set it to "Manually Manage Songs and Playlists." This will now allow you delete songs off your PC's HDD. The only downside is that when you want to add new music you'll have to physically drag it from your iTunes library to the iPod icon in the source list (wow, that's a lot of work...;) ). Everything else should be fine.

I have my 3G 15GB set up to update songs and playlists manually, it updates contacts and calendars automatically and is also set to automatically update some but not all of my podcasts.

As for your problem with deleting the music, try deleting it from iTunes. Just select the songs you don't want anymore, right-click them and select "Clear" from the contextual menu. This will delete them but only if they are in the iTunes Music folder.

iTunes exists so that you never have to see the folders again, I'd suggest consolidating your library so that it is all within the iTunes Music folder rather than My Music, that way when you delete a song from iTunes, it sends it straight to the trash.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You can put songs on the iPod and then delete them from your PC. You just need to set up your iPod (in the iTunes preferences) for Manually Managing Songs which effectively makes the iPod an iTunes library in itself. This means that you can just drag songs from iTunes into the iPod and then delete them from iTunes.

By the way, delete songs form iTunes by pressing DELETE or dragging them to the Trash/Recycle Bin rather than deleting them directly from your computer. This will give you the opportunity to delete them completely from your computer or just iTunes. It means you won't be left with a pile of corrupt song names in your library. :)

Trundled over by Chundles the great. :p

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

5. gooner21 thread starter macrumors newbie

awesome............thanks guys :D

I can get one now :)

6. gooner21 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ohh !,

one more question, im going o na big trip to the US not long after my Bday so im guessing the only way to charge it is by plugging it into a computer ??

if so, can it be any PC with a USB port or does it have to have itunes installed and open on it ?

if it can be any PC (without itunes) then im sure the hotels will have PCs I can get them to plug it into for an hour or 2 to charge up ?

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

There are plenty of ways to charge an iPod without a computer. You can get a USB power brick from Apple or other vendors, or you can get various other soultions like the Belkin Auto kit I use to keep my iPod charged in the car as well as give a slight amplification boost.

There are even external battery packs that allow you to run your iPod on AA batteries.... See Belkin for example http://www.belkin.com/ipod/5G/

B

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Just go get one of these:

Apple iPod Power Adapter

Price is in Aussie dollars but you can get them basically wherever they sell iPods. I think they're about US$30 and very, very handy to have.

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If ever you need to restore your iPod (reload the firmware), you'll be needing an adaptor. They're a good investment. :)

10. gooner21 thread starter macrumors newbie