iTunes is eating up my HDD!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by FullMetalx117, Aug 13, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

So this has been my concern for a while but I always deicded to let it go since i still had 60gb remaining on my SSD. But today I bought a movie bundle and the it is 40gb. I always select download later but for some reason it takes up space anyways. I had over 57gb available and now i'm down to 44gb. I can't even delete the files since they don't seem to exist. Anyone know how to solve this issue?

edit:down to 42gb

2. macrumors 65816

ctdonath

Word is there is a way to tell iTunes to move the library to an external drive. Anyone have directions for that?

3. macrumors 6502a

There's another post here from a guy who said that movies from a bundle were'nt re-downloadable from iCloud...

So be careful removing them.

4. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Go to iTunes > Preferences > Advanced and look to see if the bottom box is checked or unchecked:
    [​IMG]
    If it is checked, that means every time you add files to your library, iTunes makes a copy of them. After that occurs, you need to delete the originals to avoid duplicate files consuming disk space.

You can also have one iTunes library, with your favorite music/movies stored on your internal drive, so it's available when you're mobile, with the remainder stored on an external drive.

5. Guest

The easiest way to move your library to another disk is to move your entire iTunes folder to wherever you want it and then the next time you open iTunes hold down 'option' and then navigate to your newly located library. Done.

It may have changed since then but thats how I used to do it back on OSX 10.5 and 10.6 not sure about 10.7 or 10.8 as I never tried it.

6. thread starter macrumors regular

@GGJ
    just now unchecked those boxes.
    Is there anyway for me to see where exactly all of this memory is located?
    My iTunes media folder seems to be empty.

Here is how my SSD is looking
    Movies:30.77Gb
    Other:36.41 GB

Is there anyway for me to locate where the original source files are? In my iTunes library under movies it says simply to hide them in the iCloud. I'm looking through all of my files/folders and it seems like none of them have any content over 1 GB.

7. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

To locate original source files that have been copied, simply search in Finder for the item name. If it has been duplicated, you should find two copies of it, one in your iTunes Media folder and one in the original location. You can verify the location of your iTunes Media folder by going to iTunes > Preferences > Advanced.

If Finder searches are not producing the results that you expect or are missing items you know are there, try re-indexing your drive: If that fails to index, enter the following command in Terminal:
    sudo mdutil -i on "/Volumes/your drive name"​