iTunes is making multiple copies of my music..

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by silvrbullet, Aug 7, 2009.

1. macrumors regular

Jun 19, 2009
    I was loading some new songs to my ipod last night when I realized that I had some duplicates in my library- no big deal. Then I noticed that nearly all my songs had duplicates, some had as many as 4 copies! However, some didnt have any duplicates...

I looked at the iTunes folder, and somehow new files are being created. For instance, the file "09-Hotel California - The Eagles.mp3" would have "09-Hotel California - The Eagles-1.mp3", "09-Hotel California - The Eagles-2.mp3", and so on. This is not an instance where I'm importing CD's that have the same song on different albums- these are the same exact files, same quality, same everything being duplicated. When I originally imported in all my files a month ago, there were zero duplicates (transfered them from my PC).

I know I can erase the duplicates by going to File > Show duplicates and go down the list, deleting all but one copy of the file, but how do I keep this from happening again? Also, how can I delete all but the orignal file? (I.e. I dont want the files with the dash numbers saved). Why are my songs being duplicated? I have over 40GB of music, so this could become a serious problem....

I tried searching, and didnt find my answer..