iTunes issue

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by miles01110, Jul 25, 2006.

1. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I have a rather large iTunes library (~16k files, 106 GB) and I notice that periodically iTunes loses track of a random selection of them (a couple hundred tracks at a time, usually entire albums go missing), necessitating either reimporting or locating the files individually, which is a huge pain in the rear. I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue, or if it was a known bug, and if there is a fix? Could it be that my library is stored on an external hard drive?

2. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

I've had issues like that myself. I've fixed it by letting iTunes manage my library. (eg. copy files to iTunes library)

3. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

I had a similar problem that seemed to be related to the length of track names. I used one of Doug's AppleScripts to find all of the broken files and fix them (took a while, as I have > 22,000 songs, but it worked).

4. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    I have my 130 gig iTunes Library all stored on my external, and I've never had a problem

I let iTunes manage my Library.

5. miles01110 thread starter macrumors Core

miles01110

Any chance you could post a link or e-mail the script to me?

6. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

Just search on his site for iTunes Track CPR v1.3. It is not perfect but it found most of the problem tracks in my library and corrected them. The rest I manually corrected. I keep all of my tracks on a NAS, not sure if this is related to the problem or not though.