Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhilWells

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2012
San Diego, CA
Speaker Jack

Worked for me. Thanks. Used some compressed air to clean out the jack and it's not happening now. Where's the "don't do this" checkbox that tells my Mac not to do something simply because I plugged in a cable (Geezuz)?

Phil

midniter

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2009
Its like you dont have enough ***** to worry about in your life

Than this peice of ***** Itunes.... and your iphone not being recognized ... and syncing.... etc etc
M-fers take good hard working cash from you... but dont fix their software

Its like AOL dial-up... there was always some ass backward prob with it connecting to the internet... and now there is Itunes...

Is there any alternative to this ***** software... and dont tell me Diskaid.. cuz that dont sync your photos or music :(

sonicsuperstar

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2013
This problem is related to the microswitch located at the very bottom inside the speaker jack. Whenever you get this problem, make sure your speaker cable is fully inserted into the speaker jack. Even the slightest depress on the microswitch can create interference, causing itunes to start and random songs to start playing. I also recommend bringing your computer to an apple store and getting the speaker jack cleaned, since dust or other contaminants can cause this issue. They can also make sure that nothing is wrong with your microswitch. A friend of mine had to have his motherboard replaced due to a faulty microswitch. This is covered by warrantee as long as your mac isn't too old to be covered.

Thank you morgulator! I never thought it would be the speakers I have plugged into my laptop causing the problem. This only happens when I have my apple laptop "docked" and have speakers plugged into it. If I pull back just right on the speaker cable jack when it is plugged in to my laptop I can get iTunes to start and stop every time. For me this was an easy fix as I just made sure that the speaker cable had some slack to it and wasn't being pulled back. Once I did that it stopped doing it. Very interesting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.