iTunes/LaCie External HD question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ps316, May 24, 2005.

1. ps316 macrumors newbie

May 24, 2005
    I've just bought a Lacie d2 Extreme(?) Hardrive. One of the main purposes of my buying this thing is to store my music on it as my iTunes library is getting to big for my 40G Powerbook hard-drive. What I'm not understanding is how I access the music on my LaCie external hard-drive after I've erased from my computer's HD and play it through iTunes without copying said music back onto my computer? what would be great is if the LaCie showed up in the Source window of iTunes. Any help would be great.
  2. dejo Moderator

Staff Member

Sep 2, 2004
    The Centennial State
    First, copy/move your "iTunes Music" folder to your external HD. Then go into iTunes Preferences and from the Advanced tab, click the "Change..." button to point your iTunes Music folder location to the new iTunes Music folder on your external HD.
  3. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
    the great OKLAHOMA....
    If i am getting what you are wanting.... (to be able to house your music library on your firewire drive) then go to iTunes preferences ->advanced-> then set your music library to the external one!

its easy.

edit - beat!
  4. ps316 thread starter macrumors newbie

May 24, 2005
    The problem is, though my external drive shows up on my desktop it's nowhere to found on the browser iTunes gives me to change my iTunes music folder to. I click on "Desktop" in the search window and everything is there except my external hardrive course then I close the window and there it is, on my desktop. ???
  5. tech4all macrumors 68040

Jun 13, 2004
    When you're in the file browser in iTunes, do you see that sidebar thing? The external LaCie HD should be in there (in the top half of it). It is more me at least.