iTunes Lag

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jadedknight, Aug 1, 2006.

1. jadedknight macrumors newbie

Ok first I would like to say that I know this is a Mac forum but I didnt know where else to look for help (besides google). So basically my problem is that iTunes itself (not any other program) is running really laggy. I have nothing changed on my PC. Did spyware/virus scans. I have 2263 songs in my library. I am running windows with 1GB of ram and a 2.8ghz CPU. I have all programs closed and no processes running and it still lags. Any solutions? Thank you!!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Do you have an iPod connected? Does it lag in one area more than others? It takes an age for my similarly-specced PC to open iTunes but it's usually fine after that. Also, have you tried reinstalling iTunes? :)

3. jadedknight thread starter macrumors newbie

It does a quick startup but after like one song it starts to lag. No iPod is connected. and it is a fresh install of iTunes. :(

4. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i knew mad jew would be one of the first responders! :p

i would try doing a disk cleanup and a defrag. the defrag might help more than the disk cleanup, but it's still a good idea (IMO) to do both. most PC people are good about running virus and spyware/adware scans but they forget to a defrag, which also helps relieve many slowdowns.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Check Task Manager to see if it's using up a lot of CPU cycles or RAM space. Do the songs start skipping and stuttering when this happens? If you play the songs in QuickTime, do they play normally? :)

6. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

Try reinstalling windows.
    If that doesn't work, buy a mac.

Sorry, someone had to do it.