itunes launch taking atleast 1 minute

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ragz, Dec 6, 2006.

1. ragz macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I am a new mac user. Just purchased the macbook pro core 2 duo 2.33ghz version machine. Yesterday I used the ipod (as a disk) to transfer my entire 22gb of music from my pc to the macbook pro. Now my itunes program takes almost 1 full minute to launch. After clicking on the dock, there is a black arrow underneath the itunes icon, and the color wheel swirls for atleast 1 minute before the program window pops up.

Is there something wrong with my setup? I dont recall this happening until this evening. Today I have installed a copy of bootcamp with win XP and parallels with win xp. Could this be playing havoc with itunes in any way?

Lastly, my system is fully updated with the latest updates...

This mac is an amazing machine and I cannot believe that I did not discover it earlier.

Thanks in advance.

Ragz

2. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

how much RAM do you have? you might need some more.

that being said, even if you have 512 MB, a 1-minute startup is ridiculous.

3. ragz thread starter macrumors newbie

4. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

5. epb87 macrumors member

i have 512 MB RAM on G4 powerbook. Only takes 10 seconds to load 21 GB of music.

6. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

i don't think itune loads any of the music upon running, per se... so having 1 TB of music or 1 MB of music doesn't make any difference to itunes

7. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

the amount of music does make a difference because of the increase in the size of the library file, which iTunes does have to load and process. The addition of coverflow also means a lot more stuff has to be loaded in at startup than it used to. A minute does seem slow though - mine takes about that long, but it's a g4 and the library file is 140MB
    - maybe try the usual stuff:
    repair permissions, delete iTunes preferences, rebuild the Library

8. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

the library file for a 10 GB music is about 3mb... so assume for 20 it's 6mb, it should be loaded almost instantly...

i think there's something somewhere else...

yesterday when i copying 20gb of files, it clogged up the system for like half an hr, i dont know if they have anything to do w/ e/o... mine problem was solved as soon as the copy was gone... and while it was copying, everything was very slow, spinwheel everywhere and everything

9. ragz thread starter macrumors newbie

OK..here is a situation that I just discovered. Itunes will open up almost instantly if I am not ONLINE or connected to a network. Whether its via direct ethernet or via airport. However, if i am connected, then it still takes its own sweet time. Does this make any sense?

thanks,
    Ragz