Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Where do you store your music and/or movies?

• On a Network Storage system... Network-attached storage (NAS)?

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • On your local Mac?

Votes: 11 57.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

johndawg1973

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
I have my library (music and movies) on a NAS. From time to time... iTunes reverts back to the old library path, which is on the mac mini.

Also... when I download music it download to the mini and not to the NAS.

Why does this happen and what can I do to make sure the library doesn't revert to the old path? Also, why are the d-loads defaulting to the old path as well?

Thanks...

bt22

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2009
Alabama
when you initially put your library on the NAS did you do so by consolidating your library..thru iTunes..? Consolidating the Library fixed this same problem for my brother in law.

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
I have my iTunes library on a NAS and the same thing happens to me if iTunes can't access the NAS because it's asleep or it times out waiting for the drives to spin up. I'm using Windows iTunes btw.

johndawg1973

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
when you initially put your library on the NAS did you do so by consolidating your library..thru iTunes..? Consolidating the Library fixed this same problem for my brother in law.

Yeah... I've actually consolidated a few times

I think it may be a time-out issue with my NAS. Not sure though.

I have my iTunes library on a NAS and the same thing happens to me if iTunes can't access the NAS because it's asleep or it times out waiting for the drives to spin up. I'm using Windows iTunes btw.

It's either this or a timeout issue. I'll have to research this a bit more in the buffalo forum I guess.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
At least on mac, replace the iTunes Media (or iTunes music depending on your version) with an alias to the network location.

The worst that happens if the network share is not available is that is you get an little exclamation point by the songs it tries to play, and they won't play if you try to play an album, although you can click on each song and iTunes will play them. a restart of iTunes fixes this.
Also if you try to add music, it just doesn't happen. a little confusing at first, then i just make sure the drive is mounted and they add like normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.